FERA - Starvation Risk from Cold Weather - March 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJayBee

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/News/news.cfm#135

March 2013 - Starvation Risk from Cold Weather

March 2013 Starvation Risk. Important Information about Colony Food Levels.

With the continued poor weather looking to persist through to the end of March, colonies may be starting to run out of food (if they haven’t already). It would be advisable to check the food levels by opening the hive and making a very quick observation on their store levels.

More on the FERA site

Perhaps FERA could arrange some less inclement weather so we can pop some fondant on !
... or is that Defra?

Sorry, get no sympathy from me.

This is probably the beekeepers' version of the parable of the wise and foolish virgins.

[I refer you to Matthew 25 verses 1-13. For "oil" read "2:1 syrup".]

I've not come across many virgins on this Forum (apart from the 'Welcome' sub-Forum, obviously). More like a bunch of lfgfj ynb ou,j.*

Blessings to all.

Love, light and peace.

Dusty

* Sorry. Keyboard malfunction.

Don't over excite the the Welch men :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't start dragging sheep into this
:rolleyes:

Many ewes are in the same boat as beekeepers, they've carried their charges faithfully through the winter for the past six months only for them to be in real danger of loosing everything at the last hurdle due to the severe weather.
Good luck to all lambs and honey bee colonies, spring is just round the corner, when survival will be easier.

Many ewes are in the same boat as beekeepers, they've carried their charges faithfully through the winter for the past six months only for them to be in real danger of loosing everything at the last hurdle due to the severe weather.
Good luck to all lambs and honey bee colonies, spring is just round the corner, when survival will be easier.
If they're putting ewes in boats and then making them jump hurdles, then I'm not surprised they're losing lambs :nono:

Starvation risk is every year. Some hives has food enough and some does not.
In spring brooding and high hive temperature add food consumption.

Shecking food stores is normal figure in beekeeping. It is better to do without governement.

and extra stores in spring is normal too. Then you take extra food off that hive has room for pollen and laying.

Schedule thing

It is like an ordinary girl ask from magazine doctor: Am I pregnant?

Answer: When you get this answer, you allready know it.

Last edited:

Hi All,
Am I the only one that thinks that the timing of the OP is rather unfortunate and so is the FERA statement if that was just put out. Newbies, worried about the state of their colonies, should not be encouraged to open up in this weather. Bearing in mind what has gone before, I am surprised that the statement only elicit a response of general silliness from the forum fraternity!

Hi All,
Am I the only one that thinks that the timing of the OP is rather unfortunate and so is the FERA statement if that was just put out. Newbies, worried about the state of their colonies, should not be encouraged to open up in this weather. Bearing in mind what has gone before, I am surprised that the statement only elicit a response of general silliness from the forum fraternity!

Well it's silly because:
I. rather late in the day to tell anyone
2. too late in this weather - scheduled for a week - to do anything.
and
3. anyone with 0.1gm of sense would have done something already...

Simple.

Hi All,
You make a good point, but there are ways to check stores that don't involve opening hives, and ways to feed without lifting the crown board.

Although box-shifting isn't a good idea, if only because the bees won't be able to propolise any gaps it leaves, it is a good idea to do regular checks, by (gently) hefting, for example. The suggestion on another thread to feed fondant/candy via transparent boxes over the crown-board holes, is a good one. Not just because you can see if they've been eating, but because you can also see if there's much condensation and act accordingly (if there is, adjust the placement of the boxes over the crownboard hole to allow more ventilation).

If you're wise enough to have sliding mesh floors, you can also usefully spend 'no inspection' visits to clear any dead bees from them and scrub off any mouldering fondant.

I'll agree that these warnings tend to be put out somewhat late, but I gather they're usually done in response to actual starvation losses, so that's understandable. And better late than never if it helps save a few colonies.

Besides, it's not just new beekeepers that can feel tempted to stay indoors on a day like this, rather than trudge through the snow, weighed down with futile fondant, just to heft the hives in a thankless out-apiary. But this is always a dangerous time of year - the best we can hope for is a lack of bad news, and that, together with the miserable weather, can be a strong disincentive to go looking for any.

Well it's silly because:
I. rather late in the day to tell anyone
2. too late in this weather - scheduled for a week - to do anything.
and
3. anyone with 0.1gm of sense would have done something already...

Simple.

I'm off on holiday for two weeks on Friday. This weekend is the only time I can visit my bees.

They have fondent
Do you think adding pollen substitute would be a must?
Sorry I only have 0.09 grms of sense.

... you can also see if there's much condensation and act accordingly (if there is, adjust the placement of the boxes over the crownboard hole to allow more ventilation).

A rather more bee-friendly response to top-condensation is to add more insulation to the top of the hive - so that the crownboard can be warmer than the walls, and any condensation would therefore form where it would not drip onto the cluster.

HOWEVER, in this situation (fondant container over feed hole), some condensation on and around the fondant is *exactly* what is most helpful to the bees to access this fuel store!

Latest posts

Back