Extraction gear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
1 WBC 2 National
Have been so pre-occupied with keeping the bees in the hives I had sort of forgotten that I might need to get the honey out of the frames at some stage.

Given that I'm not intending to get into industrial levels of honey production and will only ever have a couple of hives, what is the minimum amount of gear I can get away with? Don' t have unlimited time but a reasonable sized utility room and most of my faculties.
Local beekeeping association doesn't seem to have anything I can borrow.

Have been so pre-occupied with keeping the bees in the hives I had sort of forgotten that I might need to get the honey out of the frames at some stage.

Given that I'm not intending to get into industrial levels of honey production and will only ever have a couple of hives, what is the minimum amount of gear I can get away with? Don' t have unlimited time but a reasonable sized utility room and most of my faculties.

A few big buckets
A large spoon
A pair of tights (or muslin, flne filters)

Pal up with another keeper and share cost and use of a budget extractor or see if an experienced keeper in the area is willing to loan or hire out an extractor??

Pal up with another keeper and share cost and use of a budget extractor or see if an experienced keeper in the area is willing to loan or hire out an extractor??

Thank you. Are you offering? I see you are in East Devon, maybe not too far from me. Please PM me if interested.

And welcome back.

Does your local association hire out an extractor for a small charge?
Manchester (not my association) beekeeper's have an extraction room to hire - do others? I think this would be a great option given the mess I created last year!

I'm surprised at last sentence. Many associations have an extractor for hire by members. Perhaps you ought to go along to next meeting and lobby them to get one. With only one or two hives you can extract in a day and it can be quite an expense to sit in the shed for 364 days.

Veg. I am with you on that. This time last year I had two hives. I am at 13 at the moment.

I have hired local association extractor but it is a fair distance from my home, it is manual and when you want it, everyone wants it.

I decided to buy one this year. I took the view that I am only going to buy one, so I saved up and bought the best electrical one I could afford.

I had a hand crank extractor when I started I wasnt long getting rid of it. Yes an extractor may sit unused for most of the time, but it is there when you want to use it. Our association lends out extraction kit but there is a hell of a scramble to try to get it, as most want it at the same time.

Back