EU funding for beekeepers, not in UK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said Margaret. Sounds like you are exactly the same type of beekeper that I am. I used my skills in other places to earn enough to pay for my initial set up. This included working on a weekend fitting bathrooms and radiators etc.

My second and third hives were made myself and the bees came from swarms. I dont have unlimited funds like some do to throw at the hobby and generally have to look at the cheapest way of doing the things I need to do in the hobby.

A little extra cash from EU funding would go a long way in my case.

Finman, I'm sure these Romanian folk ARE very poor and very destitute but so what? I pay taxes and the UK pays its way so why shouldnt we be entitled to a little back to support people who could use funding? We are expected to abide by EU rules so should be entitled to the same funding as the rest of the EU.

I pay taxes and the UK pays its way so why shouldnt we be entitled to a little back to support people who could use funding? We are expected to abide by EU rules so should be entitled to the same funding as the rest of the EU.

Problem is the UK is actually (sorry Daily Mail readers, its NOT France) one of the EU countries least likely to abide by the *spirit* of the rules. The purpose of the apiculture programme is clear, and the rule on 'must not be used as substitute funding for existing national programmes' has been utterly flaunted here by the use of weasely little ruses and inflated notional charges to make a fit that allows the govt to swipe the cash for the NBU and inspectors.

Due to the UK rule breaking the UK amateur sector derives a benefit and the commercial sector, the stated target, does not.

So, be careful what you wish for. I suspect too much pressure and the situation will get worse, not better.

Well said Margaret. Sounds like you are exactly the same type of beekeper that I am. I used my skills in other places to earn enough to pay for my initial set up. This included working on a weekend fitting bathrooms and radiators etc.

My second and third hives were made myself and the bees came from swarms. I dont have unlimited funds like some do to throw at the hobby and generally have to look at the cheapest way of doing the things I need to do in the hobby.

A little extra cash from EU funding would go a long way in my case.

Finman, I'm sure these Romanian folk ARE very poor and very destitute but so what? I pay taxes and the UK pays its way so why shouldnt we be entitled to a little back to support people who could use funding? We are expected to abide by EU rules so should be entitled to the same funding as the rest of the EU.

Why should people that keep bees as a hobby recieve funding, its no different to someone that keeps, finches, chickens, pigeons or exotic reptiles. There's nobody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to keep bees.

The business debate is a totally different scenario.

Sir! you are right

Last edited:
My next door neibour is a small farmer,running about 35 acres.Some time ago the government offered grants for " alternative farming".He decided to become a beekeeper and applied for a grant. He was awarded a total of £16000.00 toward the purchase and setting ap his bees. All he had to do was submit a busines plan and the money was handed over. He knew nothing about beekeeping,but, decided to start with 70 colonies. They came in every sort of hive you can imagine from anywhere he could obtain them. His enterprise lasted for about 4 or 5 years then folded. So if you apply under the right heading - money is certainly available.

Unless you live on spring water live in a cave and forage for all you have you have no reason to think that anyone is any richer than you are.

A romantic misconception IMO, sounds like the lifestyle of a super rich eccentric or someone living outside of the law rather than a genuinely poor person in this country.

My next door neibour is a small farmer,running about 35 acres.Some time ago the government offered grants for " alternative farming".He decided to become a beekeeper and applied for a grant. He was awarded a total of £16000.00 toward the purchase and setting ap his bees. All he had to do was submit a busines plan and the money was handed over. He knew nothing about beekeeping,but, decided to start with 70 colonies. They came in every sort of hive you can imagine from anywhere he could obtain them. His enterprise lasted for about 4 or 5 years then folded. So if you apply under the right heading - money is certainly available.

This would be correct, under the diversification headings of rural development grants. This will NOT have come from the apiculture programme. People are still getting assistance under rural development, oddly its quite easy for a start up to get it, but for the likes of myself its hard, as a business increasing its primary product output form the agricultural activity it is already engaged in does not qualify.

If I wanted to add downline processing, improve marketing, reduce food miles etc then yes, but just to up the number of hives and produce more honey in barrels a definite no. (Which all agree is not logical given that honey is a product in deficit in the EU.)

So, be careful what you wish for. I suspect too much pressure and the situation will get worse, not better.

So true about change in any walk of life at anything but a local level these days, change seems to be driven by american style lawyers and accountants obsessed with skimming the last ounce of joy out of everything :(

Frankly I'm sick of all these "agricultural" subsidies and the sooner they are all stopped the better it will be for the tax payer that's paying for them - perhaps redirect a bit where all can benefit such as the health system or schools.

Chris

Frankly I'm sick of all these "agricultural" subsidies and the sooner they are all stopped the better it will be for the tax payer that's paying for them - perhaps redirect a bit where all can benefit such as the health system or schools.

Chris

I agree. UK food prices are far too cheap. We need to bankrupt our local farmers, leave most of the country untended and import 90% of our food before people wonder why things are going wrong and prices rising.

The Law of Unintended Consequences applies.

Yeah, and let the school kids eat only pot noodles because farmers cant afford to grow thier vegatables for them.....

or we could just drive farming out of business in the uk and import everything...

I myself am happy for my tax dollar to go to supporting uk farming. Rather that than it being spent on providing free health care and schooling for immigrants who have never paid into the system.

Rather that than it being spent on providing free health care and schooling for immigrants who have never paid into the system.

A tad racist don't you think?

Chris

ITLD (Which all agree is not logical given that honey is a product in deficit in the EU.)

Murray, does that mean that Europe produces more or less honey than it consumes?

Thanks, Stephen

Every business sector has its bad times.
However, Foot & Mouth saw farmers fully compensated for their loss. No insurance necessary, they were paid the full market price for their destroyed stock.
What other sector would get this level of support?

but they are all getting plenty of your dosh, it's a sick joke.

The way things are going with the economics it could be a case of viva la revolution...let madame guillotine do the talking.:eek:

Latest posts

Back