EU funding for beekeepers, not in UK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordinary hobby beekeepers in this country don't need any funding for their hobby, most of them already have plenty of money.

And I should think a lot of beebreeders / bee importers and hive manufacturers / equipment importers would be bankrupt in no time without them!

... wealthy hobby beekeeperers that is !

And I should think a lot of beebreeders / bee importers and hive manufacturers / equipment importers would be bankrupt in no time without them!

... wealthy hobby beekeeperers that is !

I would imagine so, thats why its good that most of them already have plenty of money, and would not be needing EU money.

I think this may be true, but what a change in the beekeeping demographic, its not so long ago that most beekeepers would be rural folk on low incomes and their beekeeping would be to subsidise their modest living.

MBC.... its not so long ago that most beekeepers would be rural folk on low incomes and their beekeeping would be to subsidise their modest living.

Met a fascinating old chap this afternoon... had kept bees here in rural Cornwall for 60 years, he is now 89. Had to give it up 10 years ago as a motorbike accident meant he could no longer do the heavy work..... his beekeeping meant he could afford a motorcycle.... a succession of BSAs /Triumphs and then Hondas... now has an electric quad!

Beekeeping and motorcycles... I think I have found a new friend ..... things like that give you some hope for the future!

I think this may be true, but what a change in the beekeeping demographic, its not so long ago that most beekeepers would be rural folk on low incomes and their beekeeping would be to subsidise their modest living.

Sounds like why im doing it. No way a hobby for me im hoping the income cover me for the 3 months a year i dont get payed thanks to council cutbacks. Well if i get a good crop anyway, not the rubbish 220lb i got this year.

No buying expensive new kit for me it has to be all home made, so much cheaper.

Anyone in this country short of cash is too lazy to carry it around :icon_204-2:

VM

Did you hear about the beekeeper that won the lottery?

He said it wouldn't change his lifestyle and that he would keep on beekeeping until the cash runs out again..............

Did you hear about the beekeeper that won the lottery?

He said it wouldn't change his lifestyle and that he would keep on beekeeping until the cash runs out again..............

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:not worthy:not worthy::smilielol5:

Also true. But could that be because the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those rural folk on low incomes are now urban folk on high incomes? Very few rural folk on low incomes left.

Also true. But could that be because the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those rural folk on low incomes are now urban folk on high incomes? Very few rural folk on low incomes left.

Maybe but there are Lots of Urban folk on low incomes now. if i had the choice i would prefer to be rural low income as its still possible to feed yourself with forraging and other forms of trapping etc for most the year. where as in the town this is much more difficult.

:iagree: most of them poor rural folk have had there humble abodes bought up by wealthy 2nd home owners!

do you not have LEADER funding in the uk. You can get grants here for diversification of farm/buying equipment for farms or businesses which beekeeping will fall in somewhere.

Yes we do.............but it is not called LEADER for nothing. The conditions and paperwork are ,onerous, and the project MUST be truly innovative and the first of its kind. LEADE$R is well funded, and can go up to 90% if you form a co-operative.

Anything more than you need to live on, things like the computer you are using, and more than enough if you can afford holidays.

Well just because one has a royal name does not mean one has a royal lifestyle.

The computer I am using was given to me second hand after the previous one died of old age. :facts:
My holidays are few and far between and saved long and hard for, I am currently looking at the coach prices to London to visit a relative and wondering if I have will have enough to do that, pay my gas and electricity bills before Christmas and buy Christmas presents for my grandchildren.:serenade::nopity:
The bees already have their Chrismas present, a friend took me to get their fondant in her car, I cannot afford to run one any more. The friend may well have some of the fondant for her hobbies which is making cakes and confectionery for friends and family.:banghead:
Why is it that some people assume that all "others" are better off than they are. I used one of my hobby skills to get the money to pay for the bees and equipment, a bargain package, made the hive up myself(including making mistakes)and hope eventually to get honey that I can share with family and friends and maybe even enough to sell at the gate. Officially a hobby beekeeper Officially a hobby painter too, but if I get the chance to sell I will. We all need money to live, unless we have enough land to provide all we need to eat , to drink, to clothe ourselves and keep warm.:banghead:
Stop being a numpty, That is, someone who with no real evidence makes assumptions, gets the hump and tells you who you are. :icon_204-2: Unless you live on spring water live in a cave and forage for all you have you have no reason to think that anyone is any richer than you are.

You sound really destitute. Thanks for explaining your situation.

Last edited:
That depends on how you define destitute I suppose, I have enough to eat and drink I have a house to live in and no cause to complain that everyone who has a hobby is better off than I am. We all have to make choices that's a fact of life that seems to have been forgotten with the advent of the credit card(Keeping bees is not on the same level as flying a plane for fun).
Lets all of us remember we don't really know the other people on here, whether we are hobbyist or professionals.

Lets all of us remember we don't really know the other people on here, whether we are hobbyist or professionals.

Know quite a lot of them though.

Reminds me of this old monty python sketch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/ame]

Latest posts

Back