Does peroxide kill nosema ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if it were possible (but you can't buy hydrogen peroxide crystals - they can be made in laboratory conditions but they are not stable) it's about the maddest idea I've yet come across on here ...
If you’ve absolutely no knowledge of chemistry I suppose it’s excusable.
I think by now, surely, the message must have got through that peroxide is a non starter ?

no need to concentrate it, the bog standard stuff that hairdressers use is sufficient - lethal when mixed with chapatti flour, it's what they used in the 7/7 bombings
Is there something special about chappati as ordinary bog standard wheat flour (or potato starch, maize starch or pretty much any dry carbohydrate powder is prone to going off with a big bang when suspended in air. We used to have a couple of 1000 ton silos of potato starch at the glucose refinery and we were plagued with the factory inspector every 6 months with a trainee in tow. He wouldn't leave until he found something to crib about so we used to always have a small item to attract his attention and then he went away happy. A Rattling slightly loose guard on a belt drive was easy pickings and someone would tighten it up while he watched. As my No. 2 used to say bullshit baffles brains.

Is there something special about chappati
I don't know - but it was the only flour that was mentioned when we had our home made bomb making lessons at Shrivenham. Another 'household' item that was an indicator was (not so common in this country) was the 'sherbert' instant fruit drink which you just needed to add water too. easy and innocent looking to get on to a plane then add the other ingredients, a detonator and bang, away you go
He wouldn't leave until he found something to crib about so we used to always have a small item to attract his attention and then he went away happy
our huntsman always did that during the DEFRA inspections at the hunt kennels leave something small and unimportant for him to pick up on, take the bollocking then he'd be happy and not nitpick too much for the rest of the inspection.

I don't know - but it was the only flour that was mentioned when we had our home made bomb making lessons at Shrivenham. Another 'household' item that was an indicator was (not so common in this country) was the 'sherbert' instant fruit drink which you just needed to add water too. easy and innocent looking to get on to a plane then add the other ingredients, a detonator and bang, away you go

our huntsman always did that during the DEFRA inspections at the hunt kennels leave something small and unimportant for him to pick up on, take the bollocking then he'd be happy and not nitpick too much for the rest of the inspection.

Typically done when VAT or tax inspection is happening.
Gives them a reason for being.

Is there something special about chappati as ordinary bog standard wheat flour (or potato starch, maize starch or pretty much any dry carbohydrate powder is prone to going off with a big bang when suspended in air. We used to have a couple of 1000 ton silos of potato starch at the glucose refinery and we were plagued with the factory inspector every 6 months with a trainee in tow. He wouldn't leave until he found something to crib about so we used to always have a small item to attract his attention and then he went away happy. A Rattling slightly loose guard on a belt drive was easy pickings and someone would tighten it up while he watched. As my No. 2 used to say bullshit baffles brains.
Any powder that gets atomised is very explosive. Many fires occurred in flour mills and woodworking factories before decent extraction equipment was readily available.

I saw a great demo of this: a big tin with a press in top like a large paint tin, a bit of flour in the bottom with a burning candle in it, a bit of thin tubing through the side of the can - and long enough for safety. A small bellows or bulb on the end. When a puff of air blew the flour into the air BANG!!

Icing sugar works well too as demonstrated by a visiting scientist to my children’s then primary school. The kids were impressed by the explosion.

Chapati flour is very fine, finer than regular flour.
If you were making explosions in Italy you could use pasta flour to the same effect
Icing sugar works well too as demonstrated by a visiting scientist to my children’s then primary school. The kids were impressed by the explosion.
I can assure you that the use of chapatti flour mixed with peroxide had nothing to do with chucking the stuff up in the air to atomise it whilst holding a lit candle in the other hand.
It's just a step up from the old trick of mixing fertilizer with diesel to make a manageable (and powerful) explosive.
and the reason they banned sodium chlorate weedkiller - nothing to do with concerns for the environment.
fuel, accelerant and an ignition source

If you’ve absolutely no knowledge of chemistry I suppose it’s excusable.
I think by now, surely, the message must have got through that peroxide is a non starter ?
Yes.. 4 posts saying the same thing within 4 minutes of each other .. some type faster than others but I think the message is clear ...

Any powder that gets atomised is very explosive. Many fires occurred in flour mills and woodworking factories before decent extraction equipment was readily available.
Not all powders.
Cement powder for example is not combustible or explosive.

Glad you’ve been entertained, I have no real knowledge of chemistry only really playing about with things concerning plants.

Thanks sutty and others for the links and useful information 🙂

No you misunderstand. The entertainment has come from the divergent posts. I’d never impugn your sincerity
To many big words can I have it in simpler English, I was hoping the thread would spark 🔥 something 😂

At one starch plant the lab supervisor used to deliver part of the induction for new starters. He would have a bunsen burner alight on the lab bench and when he reached the non-smoking aspect of working in the plant he would have a small amount of starch powder in the palm of his hand. He would turn towards the flame and blow the powder at the bunsen which created a cloud of flame as the starch powder ignited. He would turn back to the candidate and say that's why we don't smoke here.

Back