Does peroxide kill nosema ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no point wasting money when most of the ingredients are just snakeoil, home made thymol emulsion to add to syrup costs pennies
I don't know if there is a price difference between Hive Alive and other food support products in winter. I also haven't said anyone should add things to a homemade syrup to make it similar to Hive Alive.
Now, if one of your colonies suffers from nosemosis, you can isolate it to prevent spread and feed it with Hive Alive, which reduces exposure and survives better.

Now, if one of your colonies suffers from nosemosis, you can isolate it to prevent spread and feed it with Hive Alive, which reduces exposure and survives better.
you are obviously not listening (or not bothering to read my post properly)
there is no need to waste money on hive alive which contains a myriad of pointless ingredients as well as the beneficial one, when you can deliver the same active ingredient (thymol) with a simple and much cheaper mixture of thymol crystals (dissolved in a small amount of alcohol) and lecithin in a water suspension added into the autumn syrup feed, if there is a severe nosema outbreak you can use it in a weaker syrup solution and spray it directly on to the bees.
The benefits of autumn feeding with thymol was demonstrated in a three year study by the universities of Eigg and Thrace years ago and the emulsion additive was perfected and used extensively by the late Pete Little (hivemaker on this forum) - the recipe is in the stickies section

you are obviously not listening (or not bothering to read my post properly)
there is no need to waste money on hive alive which contains a myriad of pointless ingredients as well as the beneficial one, when you can deliver the same active ingredient (thymol) with a simple and much cheaper mixture of thymol crystals (dissolved in a small amount of alcohol) and lecithin in a water suspension added into the autumn syrup feed, if there is a severe nosema outbreak you can use it in a weaker syrup solution and spray it directly on to the bees.
The benefits of autumn feeding with thymol was demonstrated in a three year study by the universities of Eigg and Thrace years ago and the emulsion additive was perfected and used extensively by the late Pete Little (hivemaker on this forum) - the recipe is in the stickies section
I understood it perfectly, I was simply considering the possibilities of exceeding the thymol prescription, since this is also toxic for bees, and can even cause rejection of the food. Wouldn't you like to be a veterinarian?

I was simply considering the possibilities of exceeding the thymol prescription, since this is also toxic for bees
is it? Hivemaker had doubled the dosage that they had worked out was beneficial and it did not harm the bees in the slightest, so keeping to the dose he recommended would be fine.
Manley was a lot more slapdash in adding thymol when he used it in the 1930's
Wouldn't you like to be a veterinarian?
It was a career path my father would have loved me to take as his first cousin Dr Brinley Morgan was a world renowned veterinary scientist for his work on brucellosis, later working for the WHO, and I always had an interest in what our veterinarian Dai the vet was doing when he was treating our cattle or horses, but my interest was drawn elsewhere after he died, after being sent home due to failing eyesight during Officer selection at RAF Biggin Hill, I eventually took a commission as a Customs Officer.

liquid hydrogen peroxide solutions breaks down rapidly when exposed to organic material. they have been shown to be effective as an antimicrobial, but depends on concentration, contact time, temperature, pH etc. I suspect for Nosema you would need vaporized peroxide that's used to decontaminate clean rooms to have an effective treatment. As a clean room its in a confined space, and can be safely vented after use. Oh and if you are setting up a vaporized H2O2 treatment, you need to have self container breathing apparatus on ready for use until the room has been adequately vented. Tends to bugger up the eyes and lungs on contact

Curly, are you going to try to keep the old comb on the frames with any treatment?

Aren't you supposed to be heading in the direction of being totally organic...? How does peroxide fit alongside organic fondant ?
Isn't the beneficial effect of treating wounds with honey in part because of natural enzyme derived peroxide within the honey? Don't get much more organic than that 🤔

Reactions: jim
Isn't the beneficial effect of treating wounds with honey in part because of natural enzyme derived peroxide within the honey? Don't get much more organic than that 🤔
I didn’t know that, do you have any more information on this please?

A relative was recently prescribed medi-honey for a surgical wound which was healing more slowly than desired. It has made a significant difference and reduced the need for antibiotics.

Drink a couple of pints of peroxide and you'll never have any worries about nosema ever again :D

James
It's many years ago but I have a vague recollection of one my elder relatives having a bottle of peroxide. I used to play by dripping spots onto a stone windowsill to watch it fizz but I'm fairly sure the label listed a dilution rate to use as a mouthwash/gargle? Same era when a drop of Sloane's Lineament on a cube of sugar was regarded as a cure for a sore throat.

Just wondering the above title would work, I know acetic acid does after about a week but would a water peroxide mix work.
Or what about pure alcohol?

Thanks
Mark
Re the original question: i've done a bit of internet searching and not found much data as to how resistant the spores are to disinfectants, so I doubt you will get a definitive answer.
I presume you are thinking to treat used boxes before reuse.
I've used acetic acid mainly for waxmoth treatment - a stack of boxes goes in a big plastic bag with a dish of acetic acid and is left for a few weeks or over winter - the acetic acid still seems to escape through the polythene very slowly though.
Wheelie bin liners fit a few boxes at a time.

Re the original question: i've done a bit of internet searching and not found much data as to how resistant the spores are to disinfectants, so I doubt you will get a definitive answer.
I presume you are thinking to treat used boxes before reuse.
I've used acetic acid mainly for waxmoth treatment - a stack of boxes goes in a big plastic bag with a dish of acetic acid and is left for a few weeks or over winter - the acetic acid still seems to escape through the polythene very slowly though.
Wheelie bin liners fit a few boxes at a time.
Possibly vaper or if you could get some crystal sublimation?

peroxide is a liquid suspension, it doesn't crystalise, the last thing you want to do is heat it to a high temperature as it can get pretty volatile

It's presented as an aqueous solution, if you try to get high concentration solutions you will attract the attention of the antiterrorist police (used in home-made explosives). "Vaping" isn't an option. Room disinfection with it is done by fogging and is pretty effective - but some spores are very hard to kill, it's why they sporulate.

Even if it were possible (but you can't buy hydrogen peroxide crystals - they can be made in laboratory conditions but they are not stable) it's about the maddest idea I've yet come across on here ...

if you try to get high concentration solutions you will attract the attention of the antiterrorist police (used in home-made explosives)
no need to concentrate it, the bog standard stuff that hairdressers use is sufficient - lethal when mixed with chapatti flour, it's what they used in the 7/7 bombings

Latest posts

Back