Does peroxide kill nosema ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does acetic acid 'work' for nosema? apart from as a disinfectant
and what would you do with neat alcohol (apart from mix it with orange juice for a potent nightcap)
pouring all that rubbish into a hive on a whim is just going to harm the bees, sounds like another few 'handy hints' from the lucky dip barrel of crackpot ideas

Just wondering the above title would work, I know acetic acid does after about a week but would a water peroxide mix work.
Or what about pure alcohol?

Thanks
Mark
Aren't you supposed to be heading in the direction of being totally organic...? How does peroxide fit alongside organic fondant ?

Aren't you supposed to be heading in the direction of being totally organic...? How does peroxide fit alongside organic fondant ?
Before you jump on the band wagon it was an honest question, I ask because peroxide kills fungal spores on plants on contact, I wondered if it would be the same with nosema? so if anyone has any science behind it let me know.
And I’m in the workshop cleaning boxes frames and rewaxing frames.
Shortly going out to get soaked on my rounds.

I would of thought mods would give some decent answers ? Even possibly point me in the right direction so can you answer the question pls not by answering with questions or how it would or wouldn’t fit in with whatever.

Thanks

does acetic acid 'work' for nosema? apart from as a disinfectant
and what would you do with neat alcohol (apart from mix it with orange juice for a potent nightcap)
pouring all that rubbish into a hive on a whim is just going to harm the bees, sounds like another few 'handy hints' from the lucky dip barrel of crackpot ideas
I was thinking more of a spray or brush application, feel free to drink pure alcohol with your orange juice, I’ll carry on using mine to make oils and stuff.

feel free to drink pure alcohol with your orange juice
used to be a staple boredom killer in the Lerwick Klondikers and Russian reefers calling in to Peterheid.
why this sudden terror of nosema? never once experienced a bad case of it in my apiaries - or in any apiaries of people I've met. If you're that concerned then the best solution is prophylactic use of thymol in autumn feed.
the old 1920's obsession with scrubbing, sterilising and 'spring cleaning' hives seems to be creeping back to knock back sensible beekeeping
And with all the scaremongering about homegrown terrorists nowadays I'd be very careful about bulk ordering of peroxide or you'll have the rubber heelers knocking on your door.
Just don't mention chapatti flour! :eek:

I would have thought mods would give some decent answers ? Even possibly point me in the right direction so can you answer the question pls not by answering with questions or how it would or wouldn’t fit in with whatever.
It just seemed a daft question when acetic acid does the job. Rotating out old frames should remove most of the risk. But as JBM says it’s not really a problem and endemic anyway.

................. then the best solution is prophylactic use of thymol in autumn feed................
Completely agree.
Just as a side thought, thymol seems to be quite handy in its different forms eg as a varroacide. Anecdotally it helps to control trachael mites/ Acarine and Chalkbrood; any knowledge or thoughts how it might affect the two species of nosema fungal spores?

used to be a staple boredom killer in the Lerwick Klondikers and Russian reefers calling in to Peterheid.
why this sudden terror of nosema? never once experienced a bad case of it in my apiaries - or in any apiaries of people I've met. If you're that concerned then the best solution is prophylactic use of thymol in autumn feed.
the old 1920's obsession with scrubbing, sterilising and 'spring cleaning' hives seems to be creeping back to knock back sensible beekeeping
And with all the scaremongering about homegrown terrorists nowadays I'd be very careful about bulk ordering of peroxide or you'll have the rubber heelers knocking on your door.
Just don't mention chapatti flour! :eek:
Blimey, I’m rotating old frames out and I’ve had a case of nosema quite bad to be honest, but that’s not for my reasoning with the question, as I said fungal spores are killed on contact using peroxide on plants even at low levels mixed with water, would it be the same for nosema spores? I have a hunch it would.

I also don’t use thymol in feeding but would concentrated thymol kill nosema spores then if it was used as a wash instead of feeding it to the bees ?

Completely agree.
Just as a side thought, thymol seems to be quite handy in its different forms eg as a varroacide. Anecdotally it helps to control trachael mites/ Acarine and Chalkbrood; any knowledge or thoughts how it might affect the two species of nosema fungal spores?
Interesting question and I would also like to know the answer how thymol effects spores.

As to our "obsession with scrubbing and cleaning". Having a medical degree and therefore being familiar with asepsis and sterilisation, I find it peculiar that people go to such lengths, then dump a load of dirty bees back in. My only nod to this is changing brood combs which are too dark ( but for other reasons)

Latest posts

Back