Does peroxide kill nosema ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one starch plant the lab supervisor used to deliver part of the induction for new starters. He would have a bunsen burner alight on the lab bench and when he reached the non-smoking aspect of working in the plant he would have a small amount of starch powder in the palm of his hand. He would turn towards the flame and blow the powder at the bunsen which created a cloud of flame as the starch powder ignited. He would turn back to the candidate and say that's why we don't smoke here.
My first chemistry lesson was taken by a brilliant guy who had great experiments up his sleeve. He would put a Bunsen burner tube in a small hole in the bottom of an old coffee tin and light the gas as it came out of a small hole in the lid.
He would let it burn while he talked about combustion and explosions. He would then turn off the gas and remove the tube while the flame slowly diminished.
He would then talk about gas/air ratios as us kids tried to tell him that the flame had disappeared! As he got to the point of saying a ratio of 5/1 would be explosive the lid would suddenly hit the ceiling and the room would be full of kids falling off lab stalls!!!!

My first chemistry lesson was taken by a brilliant guy who had great experiments up his sleeve. He would put a Bunsen burner tube in a small hole in the bottom of an old coffee tin and light the gas as it came out of a small hole in the lid.
He would let it burn while he talked about combustion and explosions. He would then turn off the gas and remove the tube while the flame slowly diminished.
He would then talk about gas/air ratios as us kids tried to tell him that the flame had disappeared! As he got to the point of saying a ratio of 5/1 would be explosive the lid would suddenly hit the ceiling and the room would be full of kids falling off lab stalls!!!!
I remember a similar demo with a tin - however our form room had a gas tap on the front bench & I replayed the demo with an inverted metal waste bin (small hole made in the bottom), it was very satisfying when the flame "disappeared" and the bin hit the ceiling! 😁👍

Latest posts

Back