Deformed wing virus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb7340

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
eva3y2yb.jpg

Had this bee removed from the hive when I was watching then yesterday. Seems to be a case of deformed wing virus- any cause for concern or action needed? Welcome your thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check Varroa drop now.

When was it last checked?

Have you downloaded the latest "Managing Varroa" from Beebase?

To me, this is about the only situation where I use icing sugar, not to treat for varroa but to get a nearly instant idea of varroa load. I dont count, apart from a very rough type of counting involving going back 5mins after an icing sugar shake and counting either none, not a lot, some, or lots.
'Not a lot' and 'some' are the more perplexing figures, as they leave the course of action open to question, the others are easy to deal with, do nothing or treat.
My preferred course of action at this time of year if treatment is deemed necessary is to give them a couple of smears of apiguard about 10 days apart, it seams to do the trick for my bees.
It is quite enlightening to hold back, not treat and observe sometimes on the 'not a lot' sort of counts, its surprising how colonies can shake off a dose of dwv and thrive similarly to their apparently unaffected neighbors sometimes.

this could of course be a bee that has been there since autumn.

what was your varroa control programme last year and what counts seen?

The hive is strong and has plenty of bees and lots of stores and was treated with apiguard in August/September. Couldn't use oxalic over winter as bees were not clustering.
Adding screen now to count drop- if needed what treatment would be useful for this time of year?

Had a 24 hour mite drop and have counted 10. Seems a little high, any thoughts on treatment or just dust on inspections still?

I would treat if it was me, but that is just my opinion. MAQ if it is above 10 degrees. Or thymol, it often works well even when a bit cooler.

Last edited:
Had a 24 hour mite drop and have counted 10. Seems a little high, any thoughts on treatment or just dust on inspections still?

Firstly, I'd suggest (as always) getting an average over a few days.

Meanwhile, how do you think about 10/day in March shows up on Figure 54 of "Managing Varroa"?
/// And yes, I am encouraging you to look for yourself! :)

Firstly, I'd suggest (as always) getting an average over a few days.

Meanwhile, how do you think about 10/day in March shows up on Figure 54 of "Managing Varroa"?
/// And yes, I am encouraging you to look for yourself! :)

Just like being at school! I have had a look already, being borderline I was wondering what would be an 'light control.' I am dusting when inspecting- just interested in opinion!

Just like being at school! I have had a look already, being borderline I was wondering what would be an 'light control.'
You do need to understand that document.
You wouldn't be wondering if you had read the previous page! //// ADDED See also the examples on the following page (35).

A *natural* mite drop *average* of 10/day is beyond borderline ...
I am dusting when inspecting- just interested in opinion!
Dusting is simply not an effective means of control.
But it will temporarily *un-naturally* distort the mite drop figures. Which is another reason for averaging over several days - as implied on Page 17.

And even I would suggest that its still a bit early for regular inspections.

Seeing bees with deformed wings and abdomens (at any time) is an indication that the virus level in the colony is dangerously high - and this is almost certainly due to the varroa level either currently being, or having been, excessive.
If the *natural* drop averages 10/day, I would be thinking of prompt serious treatment.
Sourcing some Apivar would be a popular forum response.
However, if your brood comb is due for replacement, and the colony is fairly strong, it might be a better solution to do a shook swarm (with bait comb - see Managing Varroa again - and syrup feeding) as soon as the nectar starts flowing - hopefully within the next month.
I wouldn't use a Thymol treatment (like Apilife VAR or Apiguard) at this time, and I would want to avoid pyretheroids.
MAQS is an option, but it can be disruptive ... I'd use it again, but likely only for mid-season firefighting.

You have several possibilities, most of which are set out in Managing Varroa.
Probably best to look at how strong the colony actually is, and what other considerations might be relevant (like the state of the brood comb).

Last edited:
-just interested in opinion

Opinion will likely get you nowhere. There is too much opinion from those that have not given it any thought. You need facts, not opinion.

Facts: Deformed wing virus is often associated with varroa, particularly high loadings.

It is a wake-up call to you! Check out whether varroa is the problem and then take the appropriate action.

Your comment 'dust on inspections still' tells me something. My question would be: if you have got this problem, even with regular dusting, is it really effective? No need to reply as I know what the answer should be!

RAB

dwv you got varroa problem.
time to do something to sort it.
with the weather and temp the way it is your options are limited for a good mite kill.
if they were mine i would vapourise some OA in there over the next few weeks.

maybe someone close to you has the equipment .

i am for OA vapourising a lot aren't.
it has it's issues same as anything else but damn it works well.

Thank you pargyle. I am in Chandlers Ford near Eastleigh. Good to hear from you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If it was me I would continue monitoring for now one day is not enough and you should monitor for a couple of weeks to get a reasonable indication of what is going on in the hive. It's mentioned from time to time that in the spring when the bees become active they cleaner out the cells ready for the queen and sometimes the cells have dead varroa and you can get high spikes of varroa in the early spring on the inspection board. I don't think the photo is that clear as only one wing is only visible but to me it looks like an old bee with rather frayed wings. Continue monitoring and then if you are getting a consistent high drop then think about treatment.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are right mbc to me it's not 100 percent but then I have not seen that many and the few cases I have witnessed the wings are so deformed it's hard not to notice. The op is doing the right thing and monitoring also spotting what they think is not right. If there is more than one bee like this then more alarm bells should ring.

Back