Dealing with old comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a solar wax extractor, it takes up to 2 brood frames at a time. I put a silicon baking sheet on the bottom of the pan, it gets more wax out and the slumgun is easier to remove afterwards. Frames come out pretty clean, a good dunk in an old tea urn and they come out looking great.

I have a solar wax extractor and use that. I cut out the comb from the frame, take the wire out and crush it into a ball. Use a pair of ladies tights. Cut off each leg and drop the wax into each leg - like fat balls for birds - it's amazing how tights stretch. When full tie a knot in the end. Pop each and as many as you can into the solar extractor - when cold the tights can be emptied of the rubbish and re-used . At the exit hole of my tray where the melted wax runs stuff it with J cloth. I have it drip into a large silicone cake mould and it really does come out pretty clean. The worst frames I'll burn and the rest get cleaned with boiling washing soda. Even though air temperatures were on the low side the last few days the wax was melting no problem in the strong sun.
Sounds good but far too much faff for me. With a F/T job, 30 hives, hobbies, and a missus time is at a premium!

Sounds good but far too much faff for me. With a F/T job, 30 hives, hobbies, and a missus time is at a premium!
It might take ten minutes mate. It's only the time to put the eight frames in the box (15 seconds ), then take them out and bang them on the ground (15 seconds). Water in the tank (30 seconds). 10 boxes of frames, 10 minutes "work" and a great lot of wax. :)

I've thrown out my old frames till now but I don't feel good about the waste. So, with suggestions on here, I got a 45 gln drum, cut the top off, drilled a hole for a tap near the bottom, got a double gas burner, and made a stand.

The only trouble is, there's a problem getting started with propane here at the moment, if you don't have a bottle to return.

I've thrown out my old frames till now but I don't feel good about the waste. So, with suggestions on here, I got a 45 gln drum, cut the top off, drilled a hole for a tap near the bottom, got a double gas burner, and made a stand.

The only trouble is, there's a problem getting started with propane here at the moment, if you don't have a bottle to return.
That's a shame. I weighed the block of wax today from my most recent steaming and recovered about 2.7 kg from (I think) about seven boxes (the boxes are approx. the size of a honey super).

Take a long hot summer for Jeff to process his 80, by which time he might have another pile.
Fair, didn't realise he had that many. I cleared 4 frames a day last year, almost zero effort and nice clean wax. It cleaned some frames last week, I was surprised to be honest, didn't realise it was warm enough.

I use a solar wax extractor, it takes up to 2 brood frames at a time. I put a silicon baking sheet on the bottom of the pan, it gets more wax out and the slumgun is easier to remove afterwards. Frames come out pretty clean, a good dunk in an old tea urn and they come out looking great.
I altered mine, put an eke on it, and now hang the frames and it takes 2 boxes of frames. Works really well when we’ve got sunshine……

Build a fire below the drum using old frames... :unsure: :oops: :ROFLMAO:
K ;)

That's a shame. I weighed the block of wax today from my most recent steaming and recovered about 2.7 kg from (I think) about seven boxes (the boxes are approx. the size of a honey super).

insulate whatever you extract in. my 70 liter tank extracts the wax in about half the time when insulated with hot water tank jacket wrapped around it. lots of the heat is lost when steam extracting with bare metal vessel, not wonder people think its expensive

Don't you find the comb collapses into the bottom of the warmer?
Most of the dross stays on/in the frame, and the wax seems to run well into the container. Comes out clean, but can have honey in the bottom. Depending on how long it takes me to remove it, it can still be called bakers honey, other times it’s turned itself into tablet!
The dross that does end up underneath the frames is easily removed with a fish slice - used just for this purpose, before anyone queries it
I cut the dross out of the frames and then wash them. I did put some in the compost bin one day, and then thought I’d got a swarm in it! Definitely needs burying, or putting in the dustbin - in a bag.

Back