Dealing with cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
I have the Abelo steam un-capping system, its really made un-capping so straight forward, however I am left with a load of cappings. How do other member deal with their cappings? Capping screws are so expensive. Share your methods please.

Modified fruit press.

Bill

Attachments

• Press01.jpg
    Press01.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 48
I put mine in my honey warmer at 35deg on a filter to drain the honey for 24 hours then feed back to the bees in a rapid feeder without the cup.

Home made bucket strainer. Takes a lot of cappings. Put it in the ariing cupboard or the warming cabinet .. virtually dry after straining. Useful then for straining the cappings after a final wash and onto wax processing.

Attachments

• IMG_1541 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_1541 (480x640).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1542 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_1542 (480x640).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1543 (640x640).jpg
    IMG_1543 (640x640).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 73
Home made bucket strainer. Takes a lot of cappings. Put it in the ariing cupboard or the warming cabinet .. virtually dry after straining. Useful then for straining the cappings after a final wash and onto wax processing.

Thanks for posting this, much appreciated.

Have you got the mellifo pro underneath your steam uncapping knife?

If you have it's pretty easy as your capping have already landed on a perforated drain tray. Just move them around a for a few days till dry and drain the honey from the bottom.

Alternatively if you haven't on one those do you have a hydropress? as ideal and you get non of the compression trapped honey that you bet with a fruit press.

Have you got the mellifo pro underneath your steam uncapping knife?

If you have it's pretty easy as your capping have already landed on a perforated drain tray. Just move them around a for a few days till dry and drain the honey from the bottom.

Alternatively if you haven't on one those do you have a hydropress? as ideal and you get non of the compression trapped honey that you bet with a fruit press.

I don't have the 'Melifo Pro' but I do have the perforated tray on the uncapping table/tray I use, bought with the steam knife system. But yes I agree that moving the cappings around does help, I have today 'run-off' around 60lb of honey off the cappings from the tray. I uncapped 15 supers and it did fill the tray. I have now moved the cappings into a 60lb bucket.

Latest posts

Back