dead puoae

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
started to treat my bee's with a bit of thymol a couple of weeks ago,and one of my hives started to pull pupae out.At first this did not concern me that much,but since then i have done an inspection on this hive and found quite a few dead pupae on a couple of frames.they are uncapped and well developed and i pulled one or two out and i cannot see any sign of disease or varroa,the queen is also laying in dead cells around these and all my other hives on this site are being treated the same way and are fine,any ideas,thanks.

Completely normal with Thymol eddy, the bees pull out larvae/chew them up if they are in the region below the tray.... better the loss of a bit of brood than a hive full of varroa. On a cost/benefit analysis, its a drop in the ocean with the subsequent health of your bees.

o k thanks roola, i understand they may pull out a bit of pupae but just one hive and its coming to the end of the treatment and theres still quite a few dead in cells,so are you saying they will eventually pull the rest out?

Latest posts

Back