Damp Kills, how have you set up your colonies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is damp?

Respiration moisture condensates in dew point and forms droplets.
In wooden hive moisture goes party inside the wood, and in polyhive it condensates onto walls and drils to bottom.

When droplets of water appear I would describe the conditions as being 'wet', not 'damp'.

Dampness - as I understand it - involves absorption. Thus plasterwork can sometimes be considered 'damp'; a towel used to soak up moisture can become 'damp'; the ground upon which lovers lie in the grass may be considered 'damp'.

But is a hive ever 'damp' ? You say that condensed moisture enters the structure of a wooden hive. Does it ? Does not the propolis and wax prevent that ?

Rain may make the wood of an untreated wooden hive 'damp' from the outside, but surely not from condensed moisture from within ?

LJ

When droplets of water appear I would describe the conditions as being 'wet', not 'damp'.

Dampness - as I understand it - involves absorption.
LJ

OK. It is same how you call it. It does not become better.

Damp Meaning and Definition

(superl.) Being in a state between dry and wet; moderately wet; moist; humid.
(superl.) Dejected; depressed; sunk.
(n.) To put out, as fire; to depress or deject; to deaden; to cloud; to check or restrain, as action or vigor; to make dull; to weaken; to discourage.
(n.) To render damp; to moisten; to make humid, or moderately wet; to dampen; as, to damp cloth.
(n.) Moisture; humidity; fog; fogginess; vapor.
(n.) Dejection; depression; cloud of the mind.
(n.) A gaseous product, formed in coal mines, old wells, pints, etc.

Last edited:
Ah - well - if we're going to play the 'consult the dictionary' game:

Origin:
1300–50; Middle English (in sense of def. 4); compare Middle Dutch damp, Middle High German dampf vapor, smoke

Can be confused: damp, dampen, moist (see synonym study at the current entry).

Synonyms
1. dank, steamy. Damp, humid, moist mean slightly wet.

Damp usually implies slight and extraneous wetness, generally undesirable or unpleasant unless the result of intention: a damp cellar; to put a damp cloth on a patient's forehead.

Humid is applied to unpleasant dampness in the air: The air is oppressively humid today.

Moist denotes something that is slightly wet, naturally or properly: moist ground; moist leather. 3. dankness, dampness, fog, vapor. 7. humidify. 8. slow, inhibit, restrain, moderate, abate.

So - damp implies a 'slight' wetness, which originates from the 'outside' of the object under consideration.

Here we are talking about excessive wetness, originating from within - hence it is the incorrect term to be using in this instance.

LJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back