Curt Swift, Ph.D.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the gear! No idea!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Complete dimwit! Not the first "PhD" to be thick as mince.

The bit where he says the bees take the corn powder back to the hive and it"most likely get swept out" which he bases on something he read rather than actually finding the hive and making an actual discovery!

To be fair, the idea of putting out honey to feed bees is entirely logical if one is unaware that honey might contain pathogens that would prove harmful to the bees collecting it. More a case of: "good idea, failed to check the facts" rather than stupidity?

A similar good-but-bad idea would be to recommend the feeding of brown sugar to bees since it is "less refined" and therefore "more natural", without asking some simple questions about the honeybee's physiology.

Hi all,
Is it an offence to feed plates of honey outside the hive in this country? It is in Australia and New Zealand!

Hi all,
Is it an offence to feed plates of honey outside the hive in this country? It is in Australia and New Zealand!

You can't even take a well-washed plastic honey jar filled with sweets into Australia...as someone we know discovered.

Get real everyone. It is an american website, so AFB/EFB is likely endemic and they just treat with all sorts of antibiotics as a matter of course.

Sometimes we need to be a little selective in what we read and then tout on the forum as common practice? The first name of the guy sort of rang alarm bells for a start.

It reminds me of the story of the beekeeping vicar who wanted to give his bees a treat. Instead of using sugar syrup he made it from shop bought honey that happened to come from Brazil. All his bees went down with AFB, he lost the lot.
I won't be putting any out any time soon.

I had a call last year...lots of honeybees dead in my garden...when i got there, expecting wasps or whatever it was a battle between two groups of honey bees

The lady had been feeding them 99p per jar supermarket honey in a wooden bumblebee imitation nest, to make bees use the box

one group of bees had found the source first and was fighting a robbig band of black bees from another colony

mayhem!

Back