Catching my first swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys
Received a phone call today from a friend of a friend they had a swarm in their garden. Rushed home and got my gear on and off I went .
When I got there and took a look i couldn't believe the size of it . Must have been 2 foot tall and a foot wide . I soon realised the box I brought wasn't big enough . Luckily the lady had a large box. Got myself in position and give them a good spray down before I banged the branch .
Then left the box there until this evening . By the time I returned only the odd bee flying around so I sealed the box and off to my apiary to re home them.
. All settled down now , will give them a feed in a day or so.
All in all a good day !

Congratulations on catching your first swarm, I caught mine off a fence post at the other end of the estate where I live. I remember it well and all the things I'd do differently If I met it again!!

So many innuendo's in this quote, where do I start! :icon_204-2:

Luckily the lady had a large box. Got myself in position and give them a good spray down before I banged the branch .

Well done, glad it was an easy one, always gives me a sense of satisfaction! Just wish I had more kit to put them in.......I wonder if the person who said 'that's the end of the swarming season' four weeks ago has eaten his words yet! Must look the thread up. :)
E

My 14 year old daughter caught her first swarm last week, our mentor was so impressed that she did it so well he allowed her to bring them home and put them in her nice new hive (he had also run out of hives). He said it would be good for her to see the swarm grow. I have lovely photo of her installing the swarm in her hive (it took days to get the grin off her face)

My 14 year old daughter caught her first swarm last week, our mentor was so impressed that she did it so well he allowed her to bring them home and put them in her nice new hive (he had also run out of hives). He said it would be good for her to see the swarm grow. I have lovely photo of her installing the swarm in her hive (it took days to get the grin off her face)

And it's making me smile too and I wasn't even there!
:)
E

Micky - well done. If the weather goes right they will need a super soon, swarms can build out a full brood in very short time and if they are as big as you said they were you could be supering in 2 weeks time. Just keep an eye on their development and when they have around 4 fifths of the brood drawn out, whack a super on. When the super is about 3 quarters drawn out put another one on and so on and so on!! There is no real science behind it, just open your eyes and be slightly ahead of them regarding the need for more space. Hope you get loads of honey later in the year.

No . I got it as a nuc and transferred it into a hive and then added a super

Micky - well done. If the weather goes right they will need a super soon, swarms can build out a full brood in very short time and if they are as big as you said they were you could be supering in 2 weeks time. Just keep an eye on their development and when they have around 4 fifths of the brood drawn out, whack a super on. When the super is about 3 quarters drawn out put another one on and so on and so on!! There is no real science behind it, just open your eyes and be slightly ahead of them regarding the need for more space. Hope you get loads of honey later in the year.

Thanks jimmy ,

Just inspected today , all foundation draws out but carnt see any new eggs yet . Could it be a virgin queen . If so will I have to wait a little longer ?

Micky - put on the super as they need space if there is a honey flow. Now I am a hands off type of beekeeper trying to leave inspections to a minimum, try not to inspect too much. For hives like yours I just peek under the crown board to see if they have enough space. If they are drawing comb, and bringing in pollen with plenty of activity you can take it that all is well. Plenty space and keep them warm, put some insulation (anything like kingspan, bubble wrap etc) on top of crown board and make it easier for them to maintain brood temperature to rear brood.

Back