Cannington / Bridgwater

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just seen the membership download page and membership is £40 so I think I made a mistake paying the £8 to SBKA?
The £8 is for associate membership. Quite a few beekeepers are members of their own BKA but also associates of others, e.g I'm a full member of Essex but an associate member of Somerset.

Their assoc membership gives you access to the recordings of all the zoom lectures they've had this year (loads of interesting speakers to check out) plus you can go to any of their in-person meetings.

You dont need the full £40 membership till next year when you actually get your bees.

The £8 is for associate membership. Quite a few beekeepers are members of their own BKA but also associates of others, e.g I'm a full member of Essex but an associate member of Somerset.

Their assoc membership gives you access to the recordings of all the zoom lectures they've had this year (loads of interesting speakers to check out) plus you can go to any of their in-person meetings.

You dont need the full £40 membership till next year when you actually get your bees.
I have printed the form off so will get that sent in with another £7 and become a member without bees for this year and then hopefully join next year with bees! Thanks for the info.

I have printed the form off so will get that sent in with another £7 and become a member without bees for this year and then hopefully join next year with bees! Thanks for the info.
If you've already paid the £8 why do you need to pay another £7?
Is that for the local division?

Being a county associate member of SBKA entitles you to the assoc benefits for all their divisions.

Last edited:
If you've already paid the £8 why do you need to pay another £7?
Is that for the local division?
Being an associate member of SBKA entitles you to the assoc benefits for all their divisions.
I've heard nothing from the SBKA, shouldn't someone have at least emailed by now? I paid it a good 1 - 2 months ago and have emailed twice.

I've heard nothing from the SBKA, shouldn't someone have at least emailed by now? I paid it a good 1 - 2 months ago and have emailed twice.
Yes, someone should have replied by now but somehow it's got lost along the way.
Get in touch with the secretary of your local division (Quantocks?) and explain that you've joined at county level.

Alternatively, the division's website will have their programme of meetings so you can just go along and introduce yourself.

I’ve had this before, I don’t think you will hear anything having joined at County level, as Little Bees said, that is for those who want to join our lectures and module study groups. I will chase Quantock for you. I have also pmd you.
Don’t pay anymore just yet, as said previously, you are entitled to attend any meetings of any division within Somerset having joined as a County member. I’m going to have ‘strong’ words within County About this, you’re not the first!

Last edited:
I’m going to have ‘strong’ words within County About this, you’re not the first!
Yes, I think it's the norm!
I signed up for a study group last year, having been an associate member already for a couple of years. About a month into the course, Lynne asked politely if I'd consider associate membership if I wanted to do further courses!

I am treasurer of a Suffolk affiliated branch and don't look at the management website as frequently now as earlier in the year; I don't get a 'ping' when somebody uploads a form or pays a BACS, but having said that, 1 - 2 months is appalling. If anybody sends in an email, it is responded to either the same or next day. A county membership should entitle you to all aspects apart from voting or BDI (which you don't need yet anyway. Definitely to be pursued.

Appreciate the replies, all. I understand people are busy in today's world but I would have expected at least an acknowledgement of the payment sent and what I get for my money, I also don't want to lose out on my chance of getting on a course close to home. I can only assume there is a genuine mistake as I have met many of the team before years ago and they all seemed a good bunch!

Back