Can i block the entrance for half a day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

A newbee here :)

I started my first two WBC hives last year. Unfortunately i made a stupid mistake and lost one hive at the end of winter. However i recovered by splitting the surviving hive and the new queen started laying about 3 weeks ago :)

The problem i now have is that i may need to keep the bees locked in for two half days, and i'm concerned about how this will impact them.

The hives are located about 2m from a railway fence which is in very poor condition. Network rail finally agreed to replace the fence, but this means they will be clearing vegetation and excavating within a couple of meters of the hives. Each time i've gone anywhere near the hive with a machine the bees get very agitated, and hey have stung once.

Network Rail have asked if i can keep the bees in for two mornings whilst they replace the fence.

Can this be done without being too detrimental to the bees?

Many thanks

Hi everyone,

A newbee here :)

I started my first two WBC hives last year. Unfortunately i made a stupid mistake and lost one hive at the end of winter. However i recovered by splitting the surviving hive and the new queen started laying about 3 weeks ago :)

The problem i now have is that i may need to keep the bees locked in for two half days, and i'm concerned about how this will impact them.

The hives are located about 2m from a railway fence which is in very poor condition. Network rail finally agreed to replace the fence, but this means they will be clearing vegetation and excavating within a couple of meters of the hives. Each time i've gone anywhere near the hive with a machine the bees get very agitated, and hey have stung once.

Network Rail have asked if i can keep the bees in for two mornings whilst they replace the fence.

Can this be done without being too detrimental to the bees?

Many thanks

Varroa mesh entrance block and varroa board open.. If very hot forecast, some shading of hive (cardboard?)

wow that was quick. thank you

i already have the board open, so will try to get a mesh entrance block (after months of chasing network rail for an update they now tell me they are coming on monday!).

So its the temperate that will be the biggest issue? The wbc already provides some degree of shading i suppose, so perhaps i can put some spacers between the lifts/roof to give some airflow?

You have OMF which is already a good start, just use the normal entrance block, just make sure it works!!
Temperature is the biggest issue, regular spraying of water up through the OMF, and mayne drape a water soaked load of hessian or an old blanket over the hives (just make sure there's still plenty of air flow though.)
Let the bees out immediately after the workmen have gone.

I've asked them to start as early as possible but to stop machinery and working around the hives by 11am.

ill keep an eye on them until then. i am close to needing a new super on each hive, so perhaps i should add those now too?

I really appreciate your help thank you.

I've asked them to start as early as possible but to stop machinery and working around the hives by 11am.

ill keep an eye on them until then. i am close to needing a new super on each hive, so perhaps i should add those now too?

I really appreciate your help thank you.

Yes: more space

I do believe your weather forecast is for 17°C on Monday so that is not too bad, but check it out.

When you close them up, check that they can't get out at each end of the entrance slider. There's often a bee-sized gap which needs plugging with Blu Tack or similar.

Back