Bulk honey price –-london/south east

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
Can anyone give me an idea of what you are charging for a bucket of honey (30lbs), as I have someone approach me for about 20-25kg?

I've just bought some for £3.00 a lbs and jolly nice it is.
A nearby bee farm charges £2.90 per lbs in a 50lb bucket

oooooops only just spotted location......probably more then, sorry

Last edited:
Should this be discussed?

The Competition Authorities can be very officious ad the penalty regime includes payments of 25% turnover (not profit) over the past 3 years.

its a forum thats what its for discussions

I know that but some discussion is seen as both anti competitive and aimed at price fixing so should not take place.

someone asked a question they got an answer its simple lol. How much would you charge for yours then?

The Competition Authorities can be very officious ad the penalty regime includes payments of 25% turnover (not profit) over the past 3 years.

Obviously never heard of phantom shopping then? Also where does this put 'go compare' ?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not looking to fix a price, merely get the market rate, which is exactly what ALL the retailers do without falling foul of the law.

I know that but some discussion is seen as both anti competitive and aimed at price fixing so should not take place.

As I said before, I'm not looking to agree a price, but ascertain where a market price might lie. If the lower than I want to charge, I will ask for more, but it's simply market research.

What about all the companies that fix their prices then?

I've just bought some for £3.00 a lbs and jolly nice it is.
A nearby bee farm charges £2.90 per lbs in a 50lb bucket

oooooops only just spotted location......probably more then, sorry

Which is ridiculous, considering your location, Ceredigion wild flower honey should have a value far exceeding £3 /lb.
There can be no doubt we beekeepers sell ourselves short when it comes to pricing our honey, can you imagine a vintner selling premium product at a knock down price ?! and there is an equal skill and much more hard work involved in producing a pound of wild flower honey in marginal areas than there is in making a bottle of wine IMO.
:rant:

There can be no doubt we beekeepers sell ourselves short when it comes to pricing our honey,

I agree, and if it were barrel prices you would be doing quite well to get £2.30lb.

I agree, and if it were barrel prices you would be doing quite well to get £2.30lb.

Is it mutually exclusive to be a commercial beekeeper and have a keen business head ??

Which is ridiculous, considering your location, Ceredigion wild flower honey should have a value far exceeding £3 /lb.

:rant:

Don’t think it was going to stay at £3 for to long

In a country which imports over 80% of its honey, keener business minds would surely command a higher premium for the real deal home produced stuff.

Would you like to buy a few tonnes, and pay over £3 lb, you could become rich.

Would you like to buy a few tonnes, and pay over £3 lb, you could become rich.

Unfortunately I'd have to compete against plenty who would think themselves doing quite well to get £2.30/lb :rolleyes:

Back