Brood frame honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordicul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Last year (first year beekeeping started with two nucs) I let one hive,.well they decided too...draw out and fill a separate brood box with frames of honey. I did this on the basis that the Cushman site said it was good to have frames of drawn brood comb....not fully sure why it is so good but that’s another story.

These were all nicely drawn with white “dry” cappings I got an offer to extract them but as I felt they might have been contaminated with sugar..which I had initially used to get them started drawing out comb I declined. I did scrape cappings of one and let it drip out , did taste fine but as I said probably sugar contaminated.

Later when looking to change out old comb/ frames of honey from the two nucs I removed nine of the more grotty looking ones as they had “wet” cappings, substituting them with the newrly drawn ones ,I have since learned that the honey beneath should be no different from those with “dry” ones.

Now.... getting nearer the questions..

Should I extract all these nine frames, or keep a few back to use later with nucs or for other reasons?

Would it be safe to feed the honey from these back to the bees in the Autumn?

My anxiety is that as one hive has not developed and it might have Nosema Ceranae which I’m in process of sending of a sample of bees for testing.

I know that freezing kills wax moth eggs and larvae,but will it kill Nosema C spores?

Again thoughts and advice welcomed.

Nordicul

Nosema ceranae is Asian in origin and the spores can be killed by freezing, as can wax moth and I think small hive beetle too. - I stand to be corrected.

Hi

Thanks Enrico, Murex and Welshboy I’ll update you when I get results.

Nordicul

Back