Bringing Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
20+National,commercial langstroth
All my hive(16) are busy this week past bringing in pollen from crocus, Hazel, mahonia and I suspect Willow but cant be sure even today when the temperture is currently 11c they are out in their hundreds, also bringing in water almost definately to dilute crystalized supplies. So far I have only had to put 250grams of fondant on one hive and that has been precautionary.

I am trying an experiment this year I have 4 hives of similar sizes and stores all of which have insulated roofs but 2 off these have fully insulated jackets as well. I am interested to see when it's slightly warmer not only how each have survived but how much less stores have been consumed by the insulated colonies.

Bees need insulation now, when they have brood and keep high temperature in hives. And these chilly weathers and nights continue up to May.

Bees need insulation now, when they have brood and keep high temperature in hives. And these chilly weathers and nights continue up to May.

Quite so I didnt say I would be removing the insulation yet. I probably wont do so till till the end of March and may indeed leave them on all year.

Latest posts

Back