Bloody neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Beesy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
My garden backs onto another garden and my hive is sited within watering distance of the other garden. Know how I found out? The entrance to my hive is wet and bees are splattered all over the front of it. My 'neighbour' has obviously turned her hose on my bees. Anything I can do? I plan to write **** on her lawn with weedkiller but any other suggestions are welcome.

run your garden hose through their letter box while they sleep leave running for a few hours? do to others and all that :reddevil:

I think the c word is a little harsh. And besides, if you use the b word you would ruin more of her lawn.

I would say to anyone who has bees in their garden ... have a Plan B ready. That is, an alternative out apiary site that your bees could go to if problems arise.

how long has the hive been sitting there ,is this the first time she has done anything like this?

It's not easy to move - it's a beehaus and it's been there over a year. It happened last year and I gave her the benefit of the doubt - mistake maybe, ignorant likely but couldn't possibly be deliberate, could it? now it's no mistake she did it again. Could I report her to police for vandalism?

I would say to anyone who has bees in their garden ... have a Plan B ready. That is, an alternative out apiary site that your bees could go to if problems arise.

I have a great neighbor next to my home apiary, he even built some Brood boxes for me last year and considered having a hive in his garden however in the last few weeks he has been complaining that my bees are 'dive bombing him' and his dog when he is trying to work in his vegetable garden the other side of the wall.

I had a look yesterday and it's quite simple, the bees are leaving the hive, turning 180 degs and gaining enough height to just clear the wall and flying over his garden to get to the OSR two fields away in that direction! Unfortunately they are at head height when they clear the wall and I tried to explain that they were not after him but just that that was their flight path. Whilst explaining he jumped and swatted at a bee that must has been buzzing past or even bumped into him.

Now I know that it is really hard for some people to be calm when a bee comes close and know that I will move some colonies from this site to my out apiary as soon as I can.

In other words, people can be fine for a while but eventually an incident will occur that makes them think twice about accepting bees.

As regard his dog being stung, it is (I'm afraid to say) rather stupid. It barks at me when I am inspecting hives, even though it knows me and my dog lays in the grass about 10ft away watching me. The difference is my dog did snap at a bee the other day and I believe got stung in the mouth but knows better and will probably stay a little further away next time.

A rather long reply to say I agree, try to find an out apiary if possible.

Must be a high powered hose or/and she was very close.

Cress grows very well on a lawn....

Somewhere to tip your old engine oil?

Harpic.

Big sign that says This Woman Kills Honey Bees

Superglue on the hose grip..

Yorkshire Bees,,,

Can you try turning the hive so they fly in different direction or put a temporary screen near hive to divert them? Even a tall plant in a pot might work...

It's not easy to move - it's a beehaus and it's been there over a year. It happened last year and I gave her the benefit of the doubt - mistake maybe, ignorant likely but couldn't possibly be deliberate, could it? now it's no mistake she did it again. Could I report her to police for vandalism?
http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/n...163-1-000/article-3472743-detail/article.html i don't see why not.... may be best to try the nice way first, explaining if she angers the hive she could be stung.. a lot, but if she leaves them alone they will leave her alone. sometimes the embarasment of being caught (so to speak) and having common sence things explained stops people from being assholes. sadly often not though.

I have a great neighbor next to my home apiary, he even built some Brood boxes for me last year and considered having a hive in his garden however in the last few weeks he has been complaining that my bees are 'dive bombing him' and his dog when he is trying to work in his vegetable garden the other side of the wall.

I had a look yesterday and it's quite simple, the bees are leaving the hive, turning 180 degs and gaining enough height to just clear the wall and flying over his garden to get to the OSR two fields away in that direction! Unfortunately they are at head height when they clear the wall and I tried to explain that they were not after him but just that that was their flight path. Whilst explaining he jumped and swatted at a bee that must has been buzzing past or even bumped into him.

Now I know that it is really hard for some people to be calm when a bee comes close and know that I will move some colonies from this site to my out apiary as soon as I can.

In other words, people can be fine for a while but eventually an incident will occur that makes them think twice about accepting bees.

As regard his dog being stung, it is (I'm afraid to say) rather stupid. It barks at me when I am inspecting hives, even though it knows me and my dog lays in the grass about 10ft away watching me. The difference is my dog did snap at a bee the other day and I believe got stung in the mouth but knows better and will probably stay a little further away next time.

A rather long reply to say I agree, try to find an out apiary if possible.

put some chicken wire up above the fence, it wont stop the light into either garden but they will tend to fly over it, thus making flight path not through his head when he is there.

edted to add.. i do find it insane that we tell africans they have to live with elephants dessimating their crops and gardens, lions and hyenas running around in the countryside etc etc. yet with all our high level predators wiped out we can't evven seem to be tolarant of small instects that generally only sting if provoked.. sorry state of affairs.

perhaps register her with the co-ops bee website asking for literature to be sent through about the plight of the honey bee may make her feel a bit guilty

edited again to add.. or REDRUM written on her house in swarm lure, or better still spray it into her eves,, when she's away then it will be her bees annoying her. i so have to get myself a waterpistol and swarm lure, the useses are endless

Last edited:
Yorkshire Bees,,,

Can you try turning the hive so they fly in different direction or put a temporary screen near hive to divert them? Even a tall plant in a pot might work...

Yes I'm looking at that, may try a 45 deg turn just to see if it helps. Also was looking at maybe some trellis with some strawberry netting over it as a temp measure. Biggest problem is the wall is a dry stone wall and already leaning a fair bit so I will have to install screen his side of wall and secure to stop it taking the wall down in any wind that comes.

Still with the size of colonies I have this year I think it is best (for me) to reduce the number I have at home.

Also a few jars of honey will goto help smooth things over.

Yes I'm looking at that, may try a 45 deg turn just to see if it helps. Also was looking at maybe some trellis with some strawberry netting over it as a temp measure. Biggest problem is the wall is a dry stone wall and already leaning a fair bit so I will have to install screen his side of wall and secure to stop it taking the wall down in any wind that comes.

Still with the size of colonies I have this year I think it is best (for me) to reduce the number I have at home.

Also a few jars of honey will goto help smooth things over.

may be less hassle to make it freestanding on your side of the wall. if you use netting and cane it won't blow over in the wind.

forgot to say in other post.. reporting to police, you'd have to say the loss to your colony and the distress and danger to you of making your hive angry to the police. they do seem to need things spelt out for them.. we had kids jumping form car to car on the roofs in our work carpark the other week. police seemed to think it wasn't a problem worth doing anythign about as long as we could find damage to the car.. then someone said the buzzword, cousing us distress, suddenly attitudes changed and parents were spoken to.

Definately try talking with your neighbour.
They may not even be aware of whet they have done.
In fact they may have thought they were doing you a favour.
What could have looked like a Wasp Nest invading your Toolbench
(sorry but those beehaus hives do look like a toolbox on legs).

Ask them if the Bees have been bothering them, and if so try moving them.
A jar of Honey cures a lot of wounds too :)

inflamation

Hi

Why try to inflame a difficult situation, be pro-active and re-site or redirect the flight of the bees...some people just like to start wars, your neighbour is a human being isn't she..??

roy

Talk to her nicely first, if that doesn't work drive to the next town with cash and buy £20 of agriciulture round up and do a bit of night spraying the next full moon. That will work.

Roy keep bending over backwards for some people they will have you in knotts. If she has a problem with the bees then she should have talked first not tried to soak them. I'm all for a quite life but will not be pushed about for no reason.

Have you actually talked with her- explained that it seems her watering hose is reaching -you- whilst you are working in your garden- don't mention the bees- say you are getting wet! Tell her she is obviously unaware ( difficult I know whilst tongue firmly in cheek!!) But much better approach than resorting to abuse.

And a jar of honey- good idea- a thank you as 'it is obvious that the foraging goes over a huge distance so she must be contributing so she deserves a share' . :cheers2:

She has a propensity to sit in the sun in a bikini drinking beer and smoking fags. I have erected a temporary screen which is so obvious she will know I know until I can turn the entrance a bit. Thanks for all suggestions but I still like the idea of roundup writing!

Are we saying this is twice in two years or does this happen on a regular basis?

It just reads as twice in two years to me and if it the case perhaps not intentional and then not so bad.

I go along with the jar of honey friendly approach.

Theres your answer, even better. Buy big hose, the next time she's out sun bathing I think its time you watered your garden. Oh sorry did it go over the fence and soak you. message sent loud and clear.

And people wonder why they have disputes with neighbours.

Back