Black bees survivors !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In Norway Black Bee is very common.
I have herd that Black Bee is good in heather harvesting.

In Norway Black Bee is very common.
I have herd that Black Bee is good in heather harvesting.

Norwegian government has allocated areas where no mongrel type bees are allowed by law !
Areas are designated for Norwegian Amm, Carniolian and Itialian ( linguista )bees.

Black bees ( Apis mellifera mellifera)seem to be better evolved to cope with local environmental conditions throughout northern Europe... many it seems survived the flu!

See the SICAMM international website

Black bees ( Apis mellifera mellifera)seem to be better evolved to cope with local environmental conditions throughout northern Europe... many it seems survived the flu!

pure rubbish, just purified

What is that: local environmental conditions. ,,,it is allways local if you mean environmental conditions.

We have Italian and Carniolan hives on Polar Circle. But not a single Black bee. They winter there outside in insulated hives.

Last edited:

pure rubbish, just purified

can a colony of (rare) black bee still be pure or will they be very black mongrels

brother Adam refers to the British bee as being brown so what is the black strain has he missed one or are the amm blacks a cross

brother Adam refers to the British bee as being brown so what is the black strain has he missed one or are the amm blacks a cross

The European dark bee (Apis mellifera mellifera) was domesticated in modern times, and taken to North America in colonial times. These small, dark-colored honey bees are sometimes called the German black bee, although they occurred originally from Britain to eastern Central Europe.

There are three main races, namely

mellifera (brown bee)
lehzeni (heathland bee)
nigra (black bee),

which have local breeds, such as the Pomeranian brown, the Alps black, or the black Scandinavian. All of the subspecies belong to the 'M' lineage of Apis mellifera

The European dark bee can be distinguished from other subspecies by their stocky body, abundant thoracal and sparse abdominal hair which is brown, and overall dark coloration; in nigra, there is also heavy dark pigmentation of the wings. Overall, when viewed from a distance, they should appear blackish, or in mellifera, rich dark brown.

From Wiki.

Last edited:
is there any pic and lists of all species on the net

See the SICAMM international website......... there is a paper published giving all the peer reviewed information collated to simplify things.
Something of a difficult subject to get to grips with as the black bee ( Apis mellifera mellifera) has been given so many local names, and due to unfortunate crossing with the imported hybridised bees may not be as pure as many would have you believe!
On the SICAMM site there is some interesting stuff about wing morphometry and even comparisons of different methods used of obtaining cubital indices and discoidal shift.

The more I read the more I realise that there is so much research to be done with black bees, particularly in claimed natural varroa and disease resistance within the species... or as some would have it the sub species.

As for the Mail............... it is not Nature.... tis written by journalists who would not be able to tell the difference between a black and a brown rat, or an Indian or African elephant... let alone a black or yellow bee!

Last edited:
As for the Mail............... it is not Nature.... tis written by journalists who would not be able to tell the difference between a black and a brown rat, or an Indian or African elephant... let alone a black or yellow bee!

Yes and if the first post was a copy and paste they dont check their own article before publishing.

BJ.....(Sorry, posted at almost same time as ICHI - who knows much more than I do )

I am on a very steep learning curve...attempting to filter out the fiction from the facts!

Should have stuck to breeding axolotls methinks!

BJ.....(Sorry, posted at almost same time as ICHI - who knows much more than I do )

I am on a very steep learning curve...attempting to filter out the fiction from the facts!

Should have stuck to breeding axolotls methinks!

You write so fast that brains are not able to follow fingers

here are some.

It seems to be good on Ahvenanmaa Archipelago. Guys have made a society to save that bug, what I call Black Devil,

I had them 30 years, Varroa killed it 20 y ago.

This Archipelago is between Sweden an Finland-

ahvenanmaa.gif

Vegetation is quite poor. There is much heather there
Ahvenanmaa_3v.jpg

ahvenanmaa.jpg

Hi Finny sorry I forgot to wish you a happy independence day the other week

Latest posts

Back