Best time of year to move bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am moving bees to a new apiary, is it best to do this early while colony is smaller or later when they are stronger? They are moving 4miles.

I move big and small as required, when required.
Smaller is easier if in one box, I do it on my own.
I leave them to settle a bit longer when cold as if hundreds rush out some may never make it back whilst trying to re-orientate.
Always smooth and gentle during lifting and transporting.

If they need moving now get on and do it.
I moved some yesterday and last week.

Good luck

There are other, more important, considerations than size.

Distance, in this case is immaterial.

There are other, more important, considerations than size.

Distance, in this case is immaterial.

One of my main considerations at this time is available forage at my over wintering home apiary. I wouldnt move them to a barren area just because its time they went.
I did move some yesterday where distance was an issue (1 mile) but took appropiate actions to ensure it worked. No bees returning to the original site yesterday or today.

PeteD,

I am confident you are OK with all you are doing. Post was for the benefit of the OP, hence my reference to distance. Possibly thought provoking?

RAB

3 miles or more, move anytime. Forage a consideration in early spring. The queens should start laying now, so your only bees are the over wintered bees. Try not to lose to many at this time of year, your hive needs them. I would have moved them in the winter, I don't think I would move them now until end of April or May, depending on the weather. But if you must, then you have no choice.

PeteD,

I am confident you are OK with all you are doing. Post was for the benefit of the OP, hence my reference to distance. Possibly thought provoking?

RAB

Hi Rab, I knew that, just adding my thoughts to yours, I just wanted to point out that they have needs ie forage and not to just move them. Also that if you do it right you can circumnavigate some of what you read. Ie the 1 mile move.
As you say thought provoking.
Cheers

Thank you all for your input... I did only put the distance in the post to prevent everyone saying move more than 3 miles etc... Forage is considered and was tested last year with a colony which managed 50lbs on its own, good sheltered site.

Back