Rotating double brood boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’m planning to move my stronger colonies from single to double brood this year.

I’ve seen mention of rotating the boxes. Is this something I should anticipate doing during the season or is it only to be considered at specific times?

It's a useful manoeuvre to prevent downward pressure and keep the bees looking up, a good indicator is when the upper brood frames develop a honey arc. You can just swap some central frames with the ones below but it's far easier to swap the boxes around, it keeps the brood against the excluder and gives the bees something to do by shifting their honey from a place they don't want it and thus freeing up cells for the queen to lay in.

It's a useful manoeuvre to prevent downward pressure and keep the bees looking up, a good indicator is when the upper brood frames develop a honey arc. You can just swap some central frames with the ones below but it's far easier to swap the boxes around, it keeps the brood against the excluder and gives the bees something to do by shifting their honey from a place they don't want it and thus freeing up cells for the queen to lay in.
So when you move the top box down you’re initially creating a honey barrier between the boxes I guess…which normally I understand would be bad as the queen won’t cross it….but the bees will just move the honey so it’s not an issue in this instance?

If the bees place stores in the bottom BB then so be it , if at all in the season it will be on the outer combs.
I don't rotate BB's but will move sealed brood down below the upper brood to form a larger vertical spherical brood pattern if the bottom isn't in use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back