Bees on the lawn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonwig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas about what the bees are doing?

Basically lots of the bees are ‘foraging’ on part of the lawn. They’re widely spaced, landing, ‘collecting’ and flying off.

There are no flowers, they’re landing on the grass. Now it could be water collecting, but there’s no real dew, and a squadron of girls is collecting water from the pond, their usual spot, about 3 metres away. There’s no chemicals on the grass, nor fertilizer, don’t use either?

Oh and they are definitely honey bees and 95% certain from my hive, about 20 metres away! The hive is normally active.

Just curious for ideas really. It’s our first spring with bees and I’ve not seen them do it before.

Simon

Moisture...... Has to be! Maybe they know the date and are trying to fool you!

Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas about what the bees are doing?

Basically lots of the bees are ‘foraging’ on part of the lawn. They’re widely spaced, landing, ‘collecting’ and flying off.

There are no flowers, they’re landing on the grass. Now it could be water collecting, but there’s no real dew, and a squadron of girls is collecting water from the pond, their usual spot, about 3 metres away. There’s no chemicals on the grass, nor fertilizer, don’t use either?

Oh and they are definitely honey bees and 95% certain from my hive, about 20 metres away! The hive is normally active.

Just curious for ideas really. It’s our first spring with bees and I’ve not seen them do it before.

Simon

I have the same thing this morning, first time i seen my bees in such large numbers on the grass. They looked as if they were looking for water, but the grass looked rather dry.

I put two water sources down for them and they are now drinking from it and no longer foraging around the lawn

Back