Bee Wagon recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a 2007 Toyota Hilux 2.5. Extra cab. Had it since new & love it to bits. Put a canopy on it when needed and it goes almost anywhere. Ideal for travelling around my farm out apiaries lugging kit around and moving colonies, can easily fit 2 pallets in the back with tail gate down so 4 hives at a time, has tie down brackets to secure ratchet straps and plenty of space where the rear half seats go to keep kit secure

It may be relevant to some here but it should be remembered that most of the vans mentioned in this post are subject to reduced maximum speed limits on single carriageway roads (50mph) and dual carriageways (60 mph).
I got my first mortgage at 19 and it was a killer.My driving style changed from Dukes of Hazard to white haired elderly couple on the way to church overnight and stayed that way in order to afford food.
Van speed limits are strangely familiar....:unsure:
I dont think Id want to be doing more than that with a box of stinging insects in the boot anyway.

How about one of these?
Real good on diesel.

watkins1682horse-drawn-bee-van (1).jpg

I had a VW Passat estate for awhile then the 4-wheel drive version after that. The load bay was great and it seemed to get most places. I now have a Navara and the best thing is that you put the bees in the back then get in the driving seat and are isolated from them. Much less driving with my veil up now and I would not want to go back. If you get a van I would suggest getting one with a bulkhead to separate you from the bees.

I just occurred to me that I'm sure that when the OP asked the question he was hoping for a consensus of suggestions. He has got what he should have known he would have got. Answers = beekeepers +1 😂

And he will therefore decide to purchase something that hasn't been mentioned at all :D

James

I had a kangoo trekka, great little van but too dinky for my needs in the end, it also got tired and they dont sell new ones.
If I was going for a van again yhen the caddy has an awd version thats tempting.

Citroen Berlingo, 2009, £2.5k three years ago. Back seats removed, brilliant. Manual so SWMBO can't drive it!

Attachments

• 0E76EE96-B300-4B41-909A-85B04528902C.jpeg
    0E76EE96-B300-4B41-909A-85B04528902C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • CD307FDB-FB84-4F10-A6DC-5E72AD286094.jpeg
    CD307FDB-FB84-4F10-A6DC-5E72AD286094.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 0F3F9E52-94FD-473A-8E44-560A158D9D46.jpeg
    0F3F9E52-94FD-473A-8E44-560A158D9D46.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
personally i have tried a van as I have one anyway for work. Bad points are mainly bees !! They always find a way in and getting them out isn’t easy 😂
So I have now gone with a large trailer and a landrover freelander2. Absolutely love it. Loads trailer up and move on!

personally i have tried a van as I have one anyway for work. Bad points are mainly bees !! They always find a way in and getting them out isn’t easy 😂
So I have now gone with a large trailer and a landrover freelander2. Absolutely love it. Loads trailer up and move on!
Tinted windows.
Harvest Work. All closed while working, if any remain they accumulate in the glass, at the end it travels 300 m and opens to release.
The rest of the year. An open window to evict those that may remain in a retirement hive.

Tinted windows.
Harvest Work. All closed while working, if any remain they accumulate in the glass, at the end it travels 300 m and opens to release.
The rest of the year. An open window to evict those that may remain in a retirement hive.
Yes done that but decided a different route with the trailer. Easier for me !!

I'd go for a small box trailer of some sort, but you'd need somewhere safe to store it while not in use like a garage or an accessible back garden and lots of locks or some sort of wheel clamp.

The problem with a dedicated van is you're going to have the added expense of two lots of road tax, insurance and maintenance, plus you will need to deal with not using it in winter so much, where will you store it, how will you stop the battery going flat, will you SORN it and maybe reduce the insurance for six months?

The problem with a dedicated van is you're going to have the added expense of two lots of road tax, insurance and maintenance, plus you will need to deal with not using it in winter so much, where will you store it, how will you stop the battery going flat, will you SORN it and maybe reduce the insurance for six months?

Most of my driving is single-person trips of less than fifteen miles, so I'd probably just carry on using it and give my car to my son. If the van wasn't suitable then we'd use my wife's car, though it's probably not going to be long before we can't really justify having more than one vehicle and that might necessitate a rethink.

James

Had a hijet pickup for years and it worked really well but with rear wheel drive it was awful on wet ground, bought for £4k and sold for £4.5k after 4 years, the only vehicle I have ever made money on. I now have a Suzuki Jimny with back seats removed and a trailer, with 4wheel drive it will go just about anywhere and is pretty comfortable.

I love my Hilux Mk7 that will reach 150,000 miles this week.
Top Gear couldn't break one.
Even with a Mountain Top cover I can get 18 supers in the back , probably double if I take it off. In five years it has cost me £300 on top of regular servicing for a front spring and rear shocks.
You can probably get a reasonable Mk 6, which is the same as the Mk 7 without the facelift, for £6k

Back