Bee breading

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abba bees

There is no future in making beehives from timber unless you have a large and sustainable source, local to your manufacturing facility. I think any redwoods in the Gatwick are were felled many years ago!
Bee breeders [even the successful ones] have a struggle to make ends meet in the UK.
Capital is no problem! now where have I heard that before?

Good Luck
James
Hi James
Pehaps from some of the answers I get from some members is the reason they do not earn money at bee keeping, a national hive cost are £40 to produce with local timber, in small quantity's, with bulk purchases you can shave that cost down. That is with red cedar, I have been in farming before, What I need to know is how to breed bees in large quantity with what ever system that is needed.

I'm a business man first and a bee keeper second, most people are just beekeepers, perhaps that is the problem.

"Capital is no problem! now where have I heard that before?" maybe you said it yourself.

Last edited:
What I need to know is how to breed bees in large quantity with what ever system that is needed.

For speed buy five hundred or a thousand hives of healthy bees, buy or make up around a thousand mating nucs for your queen production, shake out packages of bees from your colonies regularly as they expand and have enough surplus bees, add a mated queen in a cage and sell.

What I need to know is how to breed bees in large quantity with what ever system that is needed.

I'm a business man first and a bee keeper second,

Then do your research., and serve your apprenticeship like the rest of us have had to do, rather than just coming on here asking for some magical formula: the secret to financial success in beekeeping - just handed to you on a plate.

Yes, I know of a couple of systems. They work well enough for those with experience in the handling of bees. I've even invented one novel system myself and will be running it properly for the first time next year - but it's taken me several years of false starts to reach this stage.

LJ

I was wondering the best way to breed bees, I am starting up, and been thinking the best and most productive way to breed bees to sell as packages or nucs, Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated

How many colonies do you keep at the moment?

Do you mean to breed bees, or just rear any old mongrel?

Have you studied the material for the BBKA examination "Module 7 - Selection & Breeding of Honey bees". Also see the recommended book list that that exam to get a feel for the subject.

I was wondering the best way to breed bees, I am starting up, and been thinking the best and most productive way to breed bees to sell as packages or nucs, Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated

Go to work with some professional beekeepers and look, couple of years how it goes. You get only wrong advices from these back yard beekeepers.

But keep your wife in steady work if you are going to be a beekeeper.

Last edited:
Keeping bees commercially is farming livestock.

Here's two quotes from "old boy" farmers I know.

Where you have livestock, there's dead stock too.

There are two bulls in a field, one young one and a really old bull. Down the lane there's a field full of young heifers. The young bulls say's to the old one, lets run down there and take one each.
The old bull turns to the young one and say's no let's walk and have the lot !

So, be sure you know the risks involved and get lot's of experience

For speed buy five hundred or a thousand hives of healthy bees, buy or make up around a thousand mating nucs for your queen production, shake out packages of bees from your colonies regularly as they expand and have enough surplus bees, add a mated queen in a cage and sell.

Perhaps locating you monster profit bee breeding business in somewhere with a Mediterranean climate would also give you the benefit of good conditions.
Two thousand colonies would be a better option, with another two thousand mating nucs + of course a stock of proven breeder queens, you could invest in Instrumental Insemination equipment.
However you would also need to employ a skilled workforce and at least one person to oversee the whole operation who has the skills and experience, that I somewhat doubt that you have.
AND Hope that the UK government does not ban honeybee imports.

I am surprised you have not invented a new type of beehive, with all that woodworking machinery?

James

All I ask, is a simple question, yet still if you cannot give me an answer, why bother, you wast both our time

The problem is that you think the question is simple.
Until you realise that it isn't, you aren't going to find any answer helpful.

As suggested above, the reading list (and syllabus) for BBKA Module 7 should give you an indication of the vast number of jigsaw pieces that you don't realise you're missing and likely don't even suspect the existence of, as yet.
I shall trust that you are able to track down those documents for yourself. :)

One way seems to be to import Queens and sell them for 3X the price you paid or bung them in a nuc and flog it to a enthusiastic beginner for £150-200.

Originally Posted by Abba Bees

Ahem...I wonder if this is Irishguy in another guise???

P F

Latest posts

Back