Bad Day Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 minuets into the inspection on the first of three planed inspections today i look up too see flames coming from the boot of the car.

Ahh well at least no one was hurt.

Guess some sparks from the smoker got into the boot

Last edited:
Oh my word - at least no one was hurt - it will be an interesting insurance claim!!

I always worry about setting the car alight, my smoker sits/hangs in the front of the car on the way home, as you said at least no one was hurt, will you be covered my your insurance?

The insurance is all sorted, they have agreed to pay out. Its all good, saves me from selling it. I was just about to buy a new Toyota Hi LUX 4X4.

It was just a long walk home…The mobile was in the car :rolleyes:

So, let me get this right some people light their smoker in or near the open boot and or carry lit smokers in the car? Call me insensitive but if this is the case then the pictures above totally highlight what will eventually happen if you are not careful.

My smoker is lit well away from the car and I EMPTY it before it goes back in the car.

Might be an idea not to tell your insurance what you have said here as they might refuse to pay out due to negligence. I'll be amazed if they do pay out.

Alway wondered why they never make fire extinguishers in cars compulsory...
Suppose its the same reason sprinklers are not mandatory in house.

Only ever had one car fire. Flames pouring out the back (engine in back) (that's how I noticed) . I activated the fire extinguisher from the dashboard, out in seconds.

Might be an idea not to tell your insurance what you have said here as they might refuse to pay out due to negligence. I'll be amazed if they do pay out.

Nope i told them the truth, and im covered for accidental fire. Just the same as im covered for accidentally hitting someone. I think the key word is Accident. If it were done intentionally, that may e a different story.

Glad you're OK Winker - must've been a scary experience :eek:

I always light mine away from the car and empty it and allow it to cool before it goes back in.
You were lucky you were not in the car when it went up, they dont take long.

Eeek.

And there's me having newbie problems lighting my smoker. Did not realise the advanced level was 'light everything else'

Glad it turned out ok in the circumstances

acabee

Nope i told them the truth, and im covered for accidental fire. Just the same as im covered for accidentally hitting someone. I think the key word is Accident. If it were done intentionally, that may e a different story.

I'd consider yourself lucky then because they could have easily refused to pay you out as accidental or not there is an element of negligence there no matter how you dress it up .. :cool:

Sorry to hear about your fire. Must've been scary. Glad you are ok.

First O90O and then you. Is there a theme developing?

Cazza

Someone else mentioned a smoker re-lighting in the car recently.

I'd consider yourself lucky then because they could have easily refused to pay you out as accidental or not there is an element of negligence there no matter how you dress it up .. :cool:

I never once said I lit the smoker anywhere near the car. I forgot to take the hive tool with me and I went back to the car with the smoker lit. I may have squeezed the smoker and got a spark in the boot.

I don't know if that’s what actually happened, if I had seen the sparks in the boot I would have put them out before leaving the car.

The only thing I know for sure, was after around 20 minuets latter it burst into flames, and I can only guess at the cause.

Ps, I don't consider myself lucky for telling the truth, I consider myself lucky for not taking the dogs with me!

Sorry to read about it Winker. Glad you are OK and insurance paying.

On the occasions when I take a smoker in the car and light it - swarms... I also take a small sprayer filled with water and spray the smoker internals to put it out.. And then plug the exit to make sure...

"Eeek.

And there's me having newbie problems lighting my smoker. Did not realise the advanced level was 'light everything else'."

Classic reply ! Lit up my day, thank you.

Sorry to hear about your car but pleased that the insurance is going to pay out and that no-one was hurt, probably a little late for you now but I keep my smoker in an ex army steel ammo tin 'just in case' you can find them at military surplus shops and the odd car boot sale.

Regards
CD

good idea about the ammo tin as it will stop the empty smoker smelling in the car.

Latest posts

Back