ask.com

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have been trying for ages to remove Ask.com from my laptop, I eventually found a free program to do it, "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" now running at top speed

good tip download onto flash drive and remove from computer, that way you have clean copy that's not been infected so when needed can clean computer, have used ever since computer programmer told me about it

how did you end up with that nasty pile of crap on your computer.

its a vile website that has caused lots of teenagers to attempt to kill themselves.

What is Ask.com ?

I'd have a look but don't want to infect my mind or my computer.

Don't Ask lol, It just runs your computer in the end, you can remove it from program files and toll bars but it is still there

how did you end up with that nasty pile of crap on your computer.

its a vile website that has caused lots of teenagers to attempt to kill themselves.
It was my daughters computer until I inherited it with lots of downloads killing the computer

Ask.com is not malware - it is the ASK Jeeves search engine. I use it quite often.

The problem site appears to be ask.FM

:facts:

That's ask.fm a music site, ask.com is a search engine - they aren't the same crew.
Indeed. Ask.com is a search engine, but uses intrusive marketing to attach itself to some "free" downloads. They pay authors if ask.com toolbars are installed alongside their apps. It's not illegal or dangerous, just a bit sneaky if it arrives when you're not expecting it. You can uninstall if from the browser or use third party scanners like malwarebytes.

Always worth running malwearbytes from time-to-time even if you have a good virus checker in place. Running it as I speak and it's found 2 dodgy things already...

The problem nowadays with downloading files is that you click the big green button and find you have downloaded.... Virus checker..... Scan PC for updates........Chrome........... happy smiley search engines..... and never never ever click on any pop up ads or side bar ads, because they will follow you around for weeks..spying on you.
A nasty one which will happen when searching google images is when somebody has placed an embedded link into the site and you are suddenly told that you have been looking at illegal images and the police have locked your browser until you pay a fine............There is a worse similar one which will go through your hard drive/s altering jpeg and word files into an image message about "Dirty" something....

There is a really nasty piece of malware out there since Sept 2013. It secretly encrypts all your files... Once it has completed you get a ransom screen appear. If you don't pay up all your files are lost. It has already caught out a couple of police depts. Cryptolocker is the name.

Latest posts

Back