Asian Hornet in Exeter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was! I don't often put the news on but I did this morning to hear them say about asian hornets and then mention your name. And then there you were! Well it's not every day you see someone you know on the telly. :)

Guess what?

I missed it!

I forgot all about it and went off to Sainsbugs and to get my hair cut.

Still, a mini version is on the BBC web page.

Dusty

- When you know perhaps only a little about a subject, but enough to realise how badly it's being misreported, as this one is - across the board apparently - doesn't it just make you reflect darkly on the likely accuracy of any 'news item' you see?

You mean you believe you read in the papers?

:icon_204-2:

interesting article in bee craft the Apishield Floor, traps the hornets aswel as wasps via side entrances which the bees don't use. One possibility when it's does arrive

I asked Karol about these last year and he was of the opinion that wasps/hornets trapped in there sending off large amounts of alarm pheromone would attract many more to the hive

interesting article in bee craft the Apishield Floor, traps the hornets aswel as wasps via side entrances which the bees don't use. One possibility when it's does arrive

Yes, and have you seen the price of each floor? a lot of money with no major proof it works. I know a few have tried them here and not made a huge amount of difference. Most asian Hornets seem to hover in front of the hive so the rarely do enter the colony. Perhaps if a hive is weak or has little defenses, you also need a large presence of asian hornet for them to go in to the hive. but in that case theres a special size entrance reducer we use, that stops all that and still gives the bees access. its an interesting idea but its just dosent seem to work.

Good stuff Dusty! My *ahem* your hive 2 is famous!!:icon_204-2:

I asked Karol about these last year and he was of the opinion that wasps/hornets trapped in there sending off large amounts of alarm pheromone would attract many more to the hive

Ericha I spoke to the guy at the convention and asked him about this and he reckons they wouldn't produce any pheromone and any they did wouldn't bother them.............hmm. To be fair though there was a guy who was coming to get some for the rest of his hives and couldn't have been happier.

Yes, and have you seen the price of each floor? a lot of money with no major proof it works. I know a few have tried them here and not made a huge amount of difference. Most asian Hornets seem to hover in front of the hive so the rarely do enter the colony. Perhaps if a hive is weak or has little defenses, you also need a large presence of asian hornet for them to go in to the hive. but in that case theres a special size entrance reducer we use, that stops all that and still gives the bees access. its an interesting idea but its just dosent seem to work.

not seem asian hornets in france but when in china a few years ago the hornets i saw near apis ceranae hives hovered facing outward catching bees as they return not attacking the main hive

So what are they saying? are they going to peg dusty out up on the white cliffs of Dover and that sight will be enough to make the asian hornet turn tail and go back whence they came?

A quick puff of his incense-filled smoker should be enough?

Back