Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Just been copied in on this sent to the general secretary of the WBKA, hope it isn't true
'I am e-mailing you as I had spotted what I believe was an Asian Hornet flying at the above location this afternoon. I and my partner were walking on the barrage from Penarth to Cardiff when I spotted it flying in from the direction of the sea. Coincidentally, my partner later told me of the article in the Independent on Sunday warning of the possible influx of the Asian Hornet, and the article advised that any sightings should be reported to yourselves.

I am 100% certain it was an Asian Hornet due to the size (around 2.5 to 3 inches) and colouring (dark yellow, almost orange, and black) and checked images on Google to compare.’
Hopefully this is just media generated panic - one thing which makes me less worried is that these people are Independent readers (I believe some people call this a newspaper) and maybe they don't realise that the other side of the water from Penarth is Devon (nearly foreign anyway!)
Another article on the impending arrival of the Asian hornet was in the Guardian - Pinch of salt on your Tofu anyone?

I am 100% certain it was an Asian Hornet due to the size (around 2.5 to 3 inches) and colouring (dark yellow, almost orange, and black) and checked images on Google to compare.’
Hopefully this is just media generated panic - one thing which makes me less worried is that these people are Independent readers (I believe some people call this a newspaper) and maybe they don't realise that the other side of the water from Penarth is Devon (nearly foreign anyway!)
Another article on the impending arrival of the Asian hornet was in the Guardian - Pinch of salt on your Tofu anyone?

Metric units make it so much smaller...
And I'm very partial to salt and pepper tofu...with some hot chilli sauce, ta

.........erm ....no, it's not :D
I know, I know combination of end of patrol fatique and the fact we've got a Cornishman on board who we've been baiting for a fortnight that he's from Devon.
I'm sure the beeks from zummerzet will pardon me:D

"I am 100% certain it was an Asian Hornet due to the size and colouring (dark yellow, almost orange, and black)"

well that describes the european hornets that were all over our ivy, figs and clover until the cold snap.

Newspaper readership does not imply sense - our telegraph reading friends are petrified of the nests of "hornets" all over their garden - paper wasps - which are actually smaller (and faster) than normal UK jaspers.

Is it true that in the dim and distant past the people of Mevagissey found a shipwrecked chinese merchant seaman and put him to the bonfire thinking he was an asian hornet?

Naah, it was a monkey in Scunthorpe. They thought he was a french man!

Scunthorpe!!!! nay lad it was Stranton in County Durham now part of West Hartlepool, teeside

You'll be saying that the Angel of the North (otherwise known as Rusty Rita or the gateshead Flasher) is in Newcastle next

i think you'll find it was little further up the north east coast (Hartlepool; or even Fraserborough if you believe their Peterhead neighbours)

I bow my head in shame, I got 2 stories mixed up.

The other one involves the Scunthorpe councils email server blocking prohibited text (naughty words!) and no one recieving any email.

But hey, I'm Irish! I shouldn't even know the monkey story!

Latest posts

Back