Asian Hornet - Hampshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'low' efficiency traps including inducing swarm feeding behaviour. New found respect for the picnic botherers.

Yes, ran several simple ones myself..not because wasps where bothering my bees (simple solution have strong hives, most local bees fail this test )but they where invading my evening G&T suntrap.
This was an 8 hour capture (cider and raspberry jam) , lid on overnight to avoid trapping moths. Now this type of trap is poo pooed by people selling expensive ones...LOL

wasptrap-8hrs.jpg

I'm not going to discuss my results on here but you would be amazed how many wasps it's possible to trap with some sleight of mind :)

Pargyle - from Karol's posts I seem to remember that profit was not his over-riding motive but protecting human life. I'd imagine that patenting the device would ultimately add considerable cost to the product?

I seem to remember that profit was not his over-riding motive but protecting human life. I'd imagine that patenting the device would ultimately add considerable cost to the product?

So why patent and tprevent others protecting human life.
BIG Karox

Oh dear .. Looks like it's wasp season a bit early this year ... anyone else think Karol's advice was good ?

Loved reading his posts and learned a hell of a lot about wasp behaviour.

You spoke about economics in another thread. Wasps are a real bane ( :) ) in some of my Apiaries. If I'm going to spend money on solutions I need them to work whether it's underfloor entrances, traps, or fairy dust.

For those that say x,y, or z work 100% for me then IMHO you never had a major wasp problem in the first place.

Personally I don't really care about what others say about him. He is currently adding the destruction of VV to his CV and how much has he made out of it?

I think you'll find that there was a bit more to it than that ... A patented device, patented at some expense by Karol, referred to on line in the same place as DS was offering designs for exactly the same thing but from reclaimed materials. I think all Karol was doing was protecting his intellectual property. Whether that is why Steve left the forum I can't say, it's a long time ago now. Funny that you should remember it.

OK. You need to look up patent law. Anybody can copy it. It’s selling which is prohibited.
I was so upset by this I actually looked up and read the patent. The patent only covers using two separate and separatable chambers. That’s all anyway. Nothing very special and the Dexter’s shed version did not breach patent anyway.
Patenting something shows Karol has commercial intent rather than the greater good of mankind that is peddled.

Sorry but you need the facts - quite simply you, and so many others, have been hood winked - difficult to accept but there you are.

I remember because I was so upset by it - but nobody seemed to be listening - rather a Karol love fest ensued which to me is simply unjust.

I have said this all before but like I said nobody seemed to care.
It appear you still don’t - I believe in calling people out when they engaged in nefarious activity. it appears to me you pick and choose to try and back up your stance.

Finally, his ‘scientific’ evidence is questionable at best. I offered to get my A level students to do an independent study for him - would have been fantastic project. Did he engage in that - no chance.

There you are that is really everything- keep digging if you like but with every post you make yourself look silly - in my opinion - but there you are carry on with your attempt to defend your ridiculous stance if you want - it’s a free country.

I do feel new member should get the facts about the whole sorry tale and they can draw their own conclusion

Last edited:
Personally I don't really care about what others say about him. He is currently adding the destruction of VV to his CV and how much has he made out of it?

Not aware of that could educate me please.

Oh dear .. Looks like it's wasp season a bit early this year ... anyone else think Karol's advice was good ?

Really - is that how desperate you are to prove yourself. Keep ignoring the facts and send out a rallying call for support of other who got hood winked. OMG there is no reasoning or intelligent conversation.
Keep saying it ;

I’m right, I’m right, I’m right, I’m right, ignore facts, ignore facts, I’m right. I’m right, I AM RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is all it’s about really.

Last edited:
So we have a very serious potential problem with Asian Hornets and this thread is taken up with arguing about Karol and wasps..................................this thing got a hold in France because bugger all was done until it was to late and here we are arguing while Rome burns........ah well
As for updates for Hampshire beekeepers what more do they want, get your monitoring traps out, get observing in your apiaries and local forage, learn what it looks like and be vigilant, not just this week but every week until the end of the active season.

Sorry!! But to be fair this thread has not informed me much about VV. If it’s here we can trap in spring. Use special floors. Hopefully we are not relying on a tread on a forum to stop ‘Rome burning’.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would be a good idea if you refreshed all our memories as to exactly what that advice was?

If you are that interested I would suggest you take a look at the Waspbane website .. his recommendations and the reasoning are all there for anyone to read .. they apply to any high efficiency wasp trap - you don't HAVE to buy his product (even though the claim is that it is the most effective available). He's posted them on here, answered public questions (and PM's) at great length.

I'm not going to post a link to his website for fear there will be more of the same nit picking thread trash coming from your small gang of no-sayers. You know how to use Google - look it up.

Not that anyone cares, but I used a Waspbane trap last year and found it to be highly effective in catching wasps with very little collateral damage to other flying things. I shall use it again this year.

Mind you I have an alternative method this year and that is the program of appeasement I am planning. Last year I planted five plum trees and this year I have an awful lot of fruit on them so I thought I'd let it 'wither on the vine' so to speak and provide any wasps with more sugar than they can shake a [tiny] stick at. It won't get rid of the wasps but it might keep them away from my hives.

Sorry!! But to be fair this thread has not informed me much about VV. If it’s here we can trap in spring. Use special floors. Hopefully we are not relying on a tread on a forum to stop ‘Rome burning’.

And you will have exactly the same problems as France......

If you are that interested I would suggest you take a look at the Waspbane website .. his recommendations and the reasoning are all there for anyone to read .. they apply to any high efficiency wasp trap - you don't HAVE to buy his product (even though the claim is that it is the most effective available). He's posted them on here, answered public questions (and PM's) at great length.

I'm not going to post a link to his website for fear there will be more of the same nit picking thread trash coming from your small gang of no-sayers. You know how to use Google - look it up.

Remember Beefriendly is a scientist (like myself although I am now in education). He will not be impressed by non peer reviewed findings. Even our 11 year old students are taught to look for independence/peer review in publications of science . You clearly are from a generation that this was not on the curriculum. Not your fault but it’s common sense really. Buyer beware/be careful what the the sellers claims - they may just be intentionally, or not, be biased. Basic stuff really - really amazes me the cognitive dissonance thing coupled with keyboard warrior syndrome.

And you will have exactly the same problems as France......

But my question was - what has Karol helped us with in respect to VV ?

Simple question? I am curious why a wasp expert transform into VV expert as well. Oh ya read couple of article and then wasn’t there mention of a special trap for VV.

Must be getting too syndical in my old age.:banghead::banghead::banghead::leaving:

In my early days I had a hive over run by wasps, and it was a sickening sight. Having seen pictures of these, so called, expensive traps, I made my own two chamber traps. I bought conventional coned entrance wasp traps from garden centre, £1.50. I drilled hole in bottom and a hole in the lid of a honey jar, and stuck the two together. When glue set I screwed the honey jar on the bottom of the trap. I bait with Vimto and jam, and they have worked brilliantly for last two years.

But my question was - what has Karol helped us with in respect to VV ?

Simple question? I am curious why a wasp expert transform into VV expert as well. Oh ya read couple of article and then wasn’t there mention of a special trap for VV.

Must be getting too syndical in my old age.:banghead::banghead::banghead::leaving:

There is a sticky all about it on the main page.

Back