Asian Hornet - Hampshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isc26

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
From DEFRA

On 3 July 2019, the first UK sighting of an Asian hornet of the year was confirmed in New Milton, Hampshire. It was spotted by a member of the public and reported via the Asian Hornet Watch App. This was the first confirmed sighting since October 2018.

New Milton is ~ 31 miles by crow from New Alresford where the nest was found and destroyed last year. Is it likely this 'probable queen' originated from that nest? Or that it hopped over the Channel?

I think we need to accept , that despite best efforts, it is here or it is coming to a tree near you shortly.
I'm hearing ominous rumours coming out of London.

I think we need to accept , that despite best efforts, it is here or it is coming to a tree near you shortly.
I'm hearing ominous rumours coming out of London.

We are all doomed to be sure!
Thymalarse/Truble et al said so...
remember we all read it here first!!!

:calmdown:

For heavens sake!
Probably a queen?
Spotted by member of public but not caught I presume!
Why would it be a queen? Are the nests nature and issuing sexual progeny?
Good grief!

Quote from DEFRA Report: “Based upon visual examination, the hornet is likely to be a queen.”. This suggests that someone has got hold of the AH and that an informed eye has had a good look. The implication is that there is likely to be a primary nest in the vicinity - about 1Km. But I might be wrong!

Quote from DEFRA Report: “Based upon visual examination, the hornet is likely to be a queen.”. This suggests that someone has got hold of the AH and that an informed eye has had a good look. The implication is that there is likely to be a primary nest in the vicinity - about 1Km. But I might be wrong!

If it is a queen and it is still in its primary nest by the time it develops into the secondary nest and attacks beehives it will be October. That is why I just can't see VV being a problem in the UK. Our queens were out in March.

If it is a queen and it is still in its primary nest by the time it develops into the secondary nest and attacks beehives it will be October. That is why I just can't see VV being a problem in the UK. Our queens were out in March.

Quite !
What would a solitary queen be doing out and about at this time of year?

Quite !
What would a solitary queen be doing out and about at this time of year?

I would say if it is a queen it would tie in with Tetbury and Devon nests in that they only started attacking in September. I saw my first asian forager about 5 minutes ago so we are a good 10 weeks ahead. The queens come out early to collect sugars to start the primary nest, that is when the trapping is successful by those who bother. Then there is a good 12 weeks where they disappear to start their other nest and build in numbers, then they start attacking beehives.
I think that is right, now where is Karol when you need him?

Time to surround your hives with pitcher plants

I have had pitcher plants near my apiary for years (even before it was an apiary). They certainly catch wasps and my Venus Flytraps do as well, fortunately the bees seem to be immune to their charms.

I think that is right, now where is Karol when you need him?

He probably got fed up of the hounding and accusations that he was making commercial gains from his posts on the forum .. totally unjustified and the people who were doing it should have been banned. So much knowledge and good advice from Karol now, seemingly, lost as a result of a few a...holes on here. Hopefully he can be enticed to return to posting at some point.

Another forum loss to add to my list ..

He probably got fed up of the hounding and accusations that he was making commercial gains from his posts on the forum .. totally unjustified and the people who were doing it should have been banned. So much knowledge and good advice from Karol now, seemingly, lost as a result of a few a...holes on here. Hopefully he can be enticed to return to posting at some point.

Another forum loss to add to my list ..

Or got exposed. Have you looked at his ‘evidence’ on his website?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back