Asian Hornets...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If not when.

There is an erroneous automatic assumption that it is only a matter of time before velutina overruns the whole of the UK which is just pure nonsense.

Velutina is not biologically suited to the UK's temperate topography. Sure, there are a few locations where incursions may have more favourable conditions but these are limited by and large to the south, south east. If you are in an area largely devoid of crabro then you are highly unlikely to ever be bothered by velutina.

Set wick based bait stations and should you detect velutina, ask the NBU what they would like you to do and take it from there. Stay calm and don't panic.
You can present the data that supports your argument, and all the studies I have seen imply that VV can establish itself in the long term (15 years from the first successful hibernation) throughout England and Wales.

If not when.

There is an erroneous automatic assumption that it is only a matter of time before velutina overruns the whole of the UK which is just pure nonsense.
Most people seem to be excited by the thought - a chance to be seen to be 'important'

all the studies I have seen imply that VV can establish itself in the long term (15 years from the first successful hibernation) throughout England and Wales.
maybe you would like to share that - to me, it seems like something you dreamt up after a surfeit of cheese

You can present the data that supports your argument, and all the studies I have seen imply that VV can establish itself in the long term (15 years from the first successful hibernation) throughout England and Wales.
You have a short memory of your own postings.

We have European hornets. Lots nearby in Cheshire where it is much warmer...

You have a short memory of your own postings.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...der-current-climate-conditions_fig1_359563642
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06212-0
Two analyzes of nothing, by the way I already stated that the British climate is not that different from any point on the European continental Atlantic coast from Lisbon to Amsterdam and that from 2014 to today VV has successfully managed to establish itself at altitudes close to 800m, few points from England and Wales are out.
By the way, if the meteorological origin were true, why has Ireland not issued any VV warning on its territory?

We have European hornets. Lots nearby in Cheshire where it is much warmer...
Interestingly there's ( or at least there was) a healthy population of crabro on the Isle of Anglesey.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...der-current-climate-conditions_fig1_359563642
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06212-0
Two analyzes of nothing, by the way I already stated that the British climate is not that different from any point on the European continental Atlantic coast from Lisbon to Amsterdam and that from 2014 to today VV has successfully managed to establish itself at altitudes close to 800m, few points from England and Wales are out.
By the way, if the meteorological origin were true, why has Ireland not issued any VV warning on its territory?
Don't you just love computer simulations!

Any chance you can clarify the difference between meteorology, topography and ecology?

Weather men predicting the distribution of velutina. I wish they'd just learn to predict the weather first.

I already stated that the British climate is not that different from any point on the European continental Atlantic coast from Lisbon to Amsterdam
strange - I worked quite a while off and on in the Netherlands, summer and winter, totally different to the weather we were having back home at the time

Can anyone advise on a question about what happens when AH appears in your area. We believe the NBU will ask our AHAT team to deploy traps around the area of sightings. Is there an approved trap or monitoring station? Do we provide these or the NBU?

Grateful for any insights.
My local club has an AH 'officer' and at the last meeting a week ago he had about 50 boxed up traps with a bottle of lure in each one. 16 quid.
If we get one, we phone him straight away and he comes round.
He keeps bees for a living , so he is very much on the case.

If not when.

Velutina is not biologically suited to the UK's temperate topography. Sure, there are a few locations where incursions may have more favourable conditions but these are limited by and large to the south, south east. If you are in an area largely devoid of crabro then you are highly unlikely to ever be bothered by velutina.

Set wick based bait stations and should you detect velutina, ask the NBU what they would like you to do and take it from there. Stay calm and don't panic.
But I do live in the south and we do have crabro. Hence my question.

Lots of traps being distributed around here (West Kent) I'm afraid. My bait stations will be going out this weekend as its the first decent bit of weather we've had this year.
It would be good to hear from those putting out traps whether they have any by catch and if they catch an Asian Hornet.

Climate is not the same as weather.
Climate is the average weather of 30 years, while the other is a specific fact. It is not simply wrong that the specific perception of a non-coincident atmospheric phenomenon in two places does not mean that the accumulated average is
I must be living somewhere else then - someone moved me without me noticing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back