Anyone had experience taking honey in hand luggage?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Would like to take a jar of last years set honey in my hand-luggage to Kobenhavn this weekend for a friend.

Concerned that it may be an issue at the airport luggage check. Anyone had experience with this? Do you think it will be a problem?

I would think it would be confiscated. Hold luggage - no problem.

I inadvertently took a spanner in a jacket pocket. I was up-front about it and left if on top of my bits and pieces in full view. After explaining it, they allowed me to keep it.

Also once had something packed in hand luggage at Ottawa. Custom man asked me if I had packed the bag, so I told him the truth - No chance! He asked me to open my bag and when I explained what the item was, we came home with it. SiLhad packed a circular sock knitting machine topper in the only available space. No point in lying, being honest is the best policy.

It is not a lot to lose, but I don't think it is worth the trouble as it is clearly a potential risk item.

Ok. Thanks for your comments. I thought it might be a tad risky.

Shame they can't swab the honey, put it through the analysis machine etc.

agree with above
- also honey looks a bit like nitro glycerine at it's sell by date!

"a circular sock knitting machine topper"

...."a toast to the Ladies, God bless 'em!"

Agree with others, not hand luggage but ok in the hold. I took jars on my holiday recently but all in the hold.
Enjoy your trip

Agree with others, not hand luggage but ok in the hold. I took jars on my holiday recently but all in the hold.
Enjoy your trip

Try getting honey in ANY luggage into New Zealand and yu can get a big fine, yet they dump rubbish fake manuka honey on us and we do nothing

Try getting honey in ANY luggage into New Zealand and yu can get a big fine, yet they dump rubbish fake manuka honey on us and we do nothing

Ah yes I should of said you need to check individual countries rules on what you can take in and out. Oz was the same no food stuff. Dubai & Mauritius no problem. :sunning:

Had a holiday in Oz in 2002 and visited a bee farm/shop and bought some manuka honey. Made the mistake of then going over to New Zealand. Guess what?

Would like to take a jar of last years set honey in my hand-luggage to Kobenhavn this weekend for a friend.

Concerned that it may be an issue at the airport luggage check. Anyone had experience with this? Do you think it will be a problem?

Post it.

100ml limit applies.

and make sure it is labelled in mls - the unpublicised rule is that even if volume is clearly less than 100ml if weight is stated as greater it's not allowed.

On the topic of posting, is there a good way to post comb honey?
Would "This way up" be respected?

Makes no difference which way up or down it is with comb honey, i have posted comb honey, even to USA, no problems at all.

If you are putting it in luggage that's going in the hold I would make sure that it is well packed and surrounded with bubble wrap .. I've seen how baggage handlers 'care' for luggage once it's out of your sight and I don't like to think of the consequences of a suitcase full of runny honey !!

Taking honey abroad

Been taking honey in my hold luggage to Europe for years there is a weight restriction though ,also make sure its wrapped well in a leak proof bag as honey covered clothes are not good if the jar leaks or breaks.

Due to recently implemented legislation in the European Union. All honey (regardless of the quantity) must be exported by an AQIS registered exporter and must obtain appropriate export certification.
I would say it will be confiscated as it goes through hand luggage machine!

Latest posts

Back