Any explanation for this behaviour?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babnik42

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
My bees are pretty aggressive most of the time. Not overly so that they are impossible to work, but if you take a little longer with an inspection they let me know they're losing patience. Last Friday I wanted to open up as the next day I was going on holiday and knew that two of my hives needed at least a super before I left as space was getting tight. I had been meaning to do it all week but it was cold and windy. Friday wasn't much better, it was cold and the wind was blowing hard. At about 6:30 in the evening the sun came out and the wind died down a bit. It was still a little cold but I had no other option. Had I not been going on holiday I would have skipped opening up. To my amazement I had the calmest, gentlest bees imaginable. I didn't do a full inspection, but on one hive I had a bit of a mess with brace comb which was dripping with honey which I cleared up. I felt I could have opened up without a veil (not that I'd try it).

So why were they so calm? It was later, colder and windier than when I usually open up. I kind of broke every rule except the one about doing it when the sun shines. I keep finding my bees haven't read the same books I have!

Tempers can change almost overnight. In my experience though they last for a while so I would like to think that they may stay that way for a while! Could be for a number of reasons but keep your fingers crossed!

They may have needed to stay in a huddle to stay warm and only a few would come out to see if there was any real danger. Probably thought you were a fool for being out in the wind that they couldn't fly well in.

When chilled a bit they are often calmer. No problem.

It's the same when you remove the crownboard in January to dribble oxalic acid

.....but they know there will always be a next time!

Back