100m dash

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have to move 10 large colonies about 100m as farmer has sold the field. He's offered part of another field to accommodate the hives as the new owner has plans and bees don't feature! Great news as the farm is convenient, well sheltered and there is plenty of forage etc and I don't want to move. Bad news as I have to move by end of Feb at latest and my other apiaries won't take 10 hives.

3'/3mile not applicable, cold snap not forecast, no other apiary available.

I was wondering how long bees homing/mapping memories were if colonies were confined in their headquarters for a few days.

Any ideas how to move these colonies successfully the 100m?

whereabouts in Wiltshire are you?

I have to move 10 large colonies about 100m as farmer has sold the field. He's offered part of another field to accommodate the hives as the new owner has plans and bees don't feature! Great news as the farm is convenient, well sheltered and there is plenty of forage etc and I don't want to move. Bad news as I have to move by end of Feb at latest and my other apiaries won't take 10 hives.

3'/3mile not applicable, cold snap not forecast, no other apiary available.

I was wondering how long bees homing/mapping memories were if colonies were confined in their headquarters for a few days.

Any ideas how to move these colonies successfully the 100m?

don't need weeks and weeks of permafrost to do it, unless you've got seriously mild/mad flying weather you should be alright as they won't be flying much in this weather anyways, house arrest for a few days will help. You can always deploy the magic twigs as a belt and braces exercise. Just try and select the worst seven day forecast to do it - the good news is, rain is as good as frost!!

Last edited:
Block them in for 5 days
Move colonies to new apiary and orientate hives in same direction in exactly the same juxtaposition to each other as in original apiary.
When opening place a mirror in front of the hive entrances to reflect back into the hive.
Leave a couple of catch hives in old apiary
Pray for rain

Nos da

Block them in for 5 days
Move colonies to new apiary and orientate hives in same direction in exactly the same juxtaposition to each other as in original apiary.
When opening place a mirror in front of the hive entrances to reflect back into the hive.
Leave a couple of catch hives in old apiary
Pray for rain

Nos da

Is the mirror for doing their lippy before going out on their first date?

Should not be too much bother given over a month to geg it done.

Closing up, distractions on opening all good. Change orientation when moving them to new spot (even just temporarily). Moving some at a time may lose bees but they can, at least, get a new home in the colonnies remaining on the old site. Move last colonies to other apiaries if weather is not favourable within timescale. I just cannot sed any problem as long as the hives are currently fairly close together and can be moved slightly within the site to keep the close enough so as not to lose bees.

Just needs planning and getting on with it. Start by moving them closer together, I would think.

Back