winter treatment with essential oils

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckfast

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I reqd that you can you use essential oils containing Thymol; Winter green, lemon grass etc. and add them to the feeding syrup. I particularly want to use the one containing Thymol.

Has anyone tried this? and if so - what proportions of oil to syrup did you use?

Buckfast

I thought there were other essential we could use in addition to thymol? HM said something about it when he was explaining why he is mostly not using oxalic I thought???

Yes I have seen these recipes using oxalic acid and other chemicals - but my question was about simply adding essential oils to the normal winter syrup.

There are many oils you can use , I was just wanted to know if anyone had experience of using these and if so what proportions - ie. how many drops per litre???????

Yes I have seen these recipes using oxalic acid and other chemicals - but my question was about simply adding essential oils to the normal winter syrup.

There are many oils you can use , I was just wanted to know if anyone had experience of using these and if so what proportions - ie. how many drops per litre???????

Absolutely nothing to do with chemicals or oxalic, all about adding thymol to the syrup if you read the thread.

Buckfast,i use thymol in all my autumn syrup feed,but the link to this is in one of the above posts already,i also use pure EO's as well,like thymol ,lemon grass and peppermint occasionally.
Below is a copy of a post by another beekeeper, i have had several conversations with him,and his recipes are used by a lot of other beekeepers,including some on this forum.
Also a couple of links at the bottom you may find interesting,if you have not seen them before.

........................................................................................................

Below are posted my recipes. I use oil and not crystals. It is easier for me. I also recommend using an eye dropper instead of just trying to flick out drops from the bottles. The patties are meant as a feed primarily and a treatment second. From the lack of mites in my hives after returning from Calf. where they should have been infested or at least some sign of them my theory is as follows. Thymol is deadly on contact to mites. I suspect that as the bees stored the patties in the comb as they were packing out the combs for winter feed storage, as mites moved across the comb and contacted the thymol they died. So by having it in the comb it basicly made the comb a mine field for the mites and they died out. That coupled with any that was fed to the larvae would also contact the mites and kill them in this manner.

The liquid feed is meant as a strong treatment for spring or if you are infested with mites and/or your bees have nosema. It will treat both in my experience. You can also use the liquid as a mist over your frames for a quick knock down of mites. The formula is strong, but it has been used effectively by myself with no bee kill.

Alpha6 Feed Recipes

Patties – 5 gallon bucket mixture
2 Cups of Yeast
7 lbs of Sugar
8 drops of thyme
15 drops lemongrass
15 drops spearmint

Measure out the brewer’s yeast into a large container. Add your essential oils as measured above. I recommend using an eye dropper for precise measurements. Pour liquid brewer’s yeast into 5 gallon bucket. Add sugar slowly with mixing with an electric drill equipped with a “mud” paddle. Mix until the consistency is that of a thick mushy mashed potatoes. Add sugar or small amount of yeast to get consistency right. In feeding lots of hives I find you can then pour/spoon this mixture out of the 5 gallon mixing bucket into one used for feeding and then continue to mix a new batch in your mixing bucket. If you try and mix too much, you will burn out your drill which is why I recommend mixing in the above measurements.

Patties – Cement Mixer

2 Quarts of yeast
30 lbs of sugar
32 drops of thyme
60 drops of lemongrass
60 drops of spearmint
In a large mixing bowl measure out 2 quarts of liquid brewer’s yeast and then add your essential oils. In a clean cement mixer pour the yeast/EO mixture. Turn on the mixture and begin to add the sugar. Continue to mix until well mixed and with a consistency of thick mushy mashed potatoes.

Liquid Feed –

1 Quart of Water
1 Quart of Sugar
16 drops of thyme oil
30 drops of lemongrass oil
30 drops of spearmint oil
2 teaspoons of Soy Lecithin Granules

In a mixing bowl or similar item add one quart of hot but not boiling water. Mix in 2 teaspoons of Lecithin granules. Mix with a beater or till all of the granules are dissolved. Add your thyme, lemongrass and spearmint oils and again mix with the beater. Measure out one quart of sugar and pour it in your hot water/oil mix and stir well.
I mix this up two quarts at a time and double the amounts. I then pour it in a 5 gallon bucket and repeat until I have four gallons of liquid feed in the 5 gallon bucket. (At this point you will have mixed 2 gallons of water to 2 gallons of sugar) I then use a “mud” mixer on an electric drill and mix it all very well in the 5 gallon bucket. Put a lid on and it’s ready to go out to your hives. I have a bucket with a small spigot on it that I pour the contents into in the field and then I can control filling my feeders. You can also dip, but if your bees are out they will find it (and you).

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/varroa2.htm

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=230111

http://www.scialert.net/pdfs/pjbs/2005/1142-1145.pdf

Note thymol is added to syrup for two reasons:- To stop fermenting/spoiling. And to treat Nosema disease.

Note thymol is added to syrup for two reasons:- To stop fermenting/spoiling. And to treat Nosema disease.

Essential oils and oil components were fed to honey bees in a sugar syrup and liquid protein diet in order to determine if the oils were being incorporated into the bee larvae and could be traced by means of SPME. The compounds used were origanum, 2-heptanone, thymol and cinnamon oil. The main component of origanum is carvacrol and when fed in sugar syrup, this compound was found in Day 4 and Day 9 larvae. The four day old bee larvae had 0.13ppb of carvacrol and the nine day old larvae had over 3000ppb. Carvacrol was also detected in the cocoons. There was no activity in any bee larvae for the two different 2-heptanone formulations fed in sugar syrup. When the oils were fed in liquid protein diet, the Day 4 larvae had no detectable levels of either origanum (carvacrol) or thymol. The Day 6 larvae had 0.01 ppg of carvacrol but no thymol. Both Day 9 larvae and cocoons had large amounts of both carvacrol and thymol. The highest was over 1 million ppb in the whole Day 9 larvae. The thymol was only detected in the Day 9 larvae at 51,097 ppb. No 2-heptanone or cinnamon oil added to the liquid protein diet was detected in any of the larvae. The very high levels of both carvacrol and thymol in the whole Day 9 larvae would certainly be enough to protect them against Varroa infestation. More recent work in this area has shown that this is true and may explain why bees given certain essential oil treatments protect immature bees from invading Varroa mites.

Thanks Hivemaker for this and post 6.

I've copied and pasted and added this to my forum library (trouble is I have rather a lot there already)

Would you consider the spring treatment routinely or only if you have had a big mite drop after oxalic in the winter?

Hi Eric
I don't normally have any mite problems in spring to need to use EO'S in syrup,and would not feed it to honey production colonys,but ok to feed any developing nuc's. If i get a problem with a full size colony regards mites, i simply do a demaree kind of A/S, sealed brood at top being treated until all young bee's have emerged,open brood and older bee's plus queen below,and treated for 48 hours or so....then the two united back together when all brood in top box has emerged,but i find needing to do this is a rare occurrence.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed reading those HM. I am not sure I 100% understood though.

For you brainiacs to correct me please......

It made me think that probably the fact that I have been putting thymol in the Autumn syrup since you advised is the reason I have been so lucky and not lost bees over the Winter.

I am going to try the patties with essential oils in in the Spring. To be honest because I am in London and there is pollen all year I wasn't so sure feeding patties was needed to stimulate brood production in the Spring, but I can see that there is a real benefit to getting essential oils into the Spring bees so that they will have less varroa and less nosema.

Pounds, drops and teaspoons (5ml ) OK.
Cups, quarts and pints (US/UK/liquid/dry) are a little more complicated.

I can see that a volumetric measure of sugar is easy from a big bag or bin is simple, provided one knows if it's US or UK quarts and pints that are in use, but most of us I suspect prefer to weigh sugar.

A good indication, but a bit fuzzy when it come down to the detail I fear.
More questions than answers in the longer term I suspect, but another good post for all that.

My understanding of the mixed measures is that they are not at all critical and more of an indication of the quantities to be used? Thanks HiveMaker.

Hi Eric
I don't normally have any mite problems in spring to need to use EO'S in syrup,and would not feed it to honey production colonys,but ok to feed any developing nuc's. If i get a problem with a full size colony regards mites, i simply do a demaree kind of A/S, sealed brood at top being treated until all young bee's have emerged,open brood and older bee's plus queen below,and treated for 48 hours or so....then the two united back together when all brood in top box has emerged,but i find needing to do this is a rare occurrence.

Thanks HM

from where do you get brewer’s yeast in these quantities ?

Lauri

Hi hivemaker

Could you please tell me where I can get hold of Soy lecithin granules

buckfast

Hi
yes,most health food stores,or from this link,these are the type i use.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lecigran-Lecithin-Granules-Free-250g/dp/B0013G4HG8[/ame]

I reqd that you can you use essential oils containing Thymol; Winter green, lemon grass etc. and add them to the feeding syrup. I particularly want to use the one containing Thymol.

Has anyone tried this? and if so - what proportions of oil to syrup did you use?

Buckfast

Surely hundreds of beekeepers. What you are going to achieve with that?

Latest posts

Back