1kg Sugar 49p @ Morrisons.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + 3 nuc
Just heads up if you need to stock up on some cheap sugar, Morrisons have gran sugar priced at 49p a kg from the 17th to 23rd, sub to availability etc. Assume it's nation wide, ring local store first! Not sure of country of origin or quantity restrictions per customer.

cheers Russel, I might being pop down to tomorrow and get some

"Subject to availability", might be a clue there, 49p is very cheap.

You only have to ring first to avoid a wasted journey also try Farmfoods as they very often have a 2 1kg bags for a pound. As above re make etc and any additives.

Type of Sugar

Just read on a Beer Forum that Morrison's have sugar at 49p a kilogram, only 3 per customer ;)
Apparently it is beet sugar not cane, but does it matter to the bees .
Wouldn't want to get stocked up with the wrong stuff.
S

There have been arguments over the merits or otherwise of cane versus beet sugar. I don't think there is anything to be worried about. Pesticides can be used in cane sugar production (and no doubt beet) but the refining process seems to remove any traces - but you will find quite a lot of discussion about this on some Indian websites if you Google about.

Last edited:
Morrisons own brand sugar contains sulhpides .

Apparently to deter ants whilst in store ?

John W

Morrisons own brand sugar contains sulhpides .

Apparently to deter ants whilst in store ?

John W

Following the above I asked Morrisons :

" Hello, Previous ref. 84760 Would it be possible to tell me if your own brand sugar contains any additives eg. anti caking agents or ant/pest deterrents, that may render it unsuitable as a winter food supplement for honey bees? Many thanks Russell Flynn"

According to Morrisons it does not contain anything other than sugar, if it did wouldn't they have to state so on the packaging?
However not everyone in the supply chain may be working off the same spec page. Leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Their reply

:Good Morning Mr Flynn,

Thank you for contacting us.

After consulting our Technical Team, I can confirm the specification indicates that the only ingredient present is sugar.

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely

C Ruddick
--
Customer Services Department
WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC"

Following the above I asked Morrisons :

" Hello, Previous ref. 84760 Would it be possible to tell me if your own brand sugar contains any additives eg. anti caking agents or ant/pest deterrents, that may render it unsuitable as a winter food supplement for honey bees? Many thanks Russell Flynn"

According to Morrisons it does not contain anything other than sugar, if it did wouldn't they have to state so on the packaging?
However not everyone in the supply chain may be working off the same spec page. Leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Their reply

:Good Morning Mr Flynn,

Thank you for contacting us.

After consulting our Technical Team, I can confirm the specification indicates that the only ingredient present is sugar.

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely

C Ruddick
--
Customer Services Department
WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC"

Sorry the last own brand packet I picked up had contains suphides printed on it .
John W

I did say "according to".
Need to get me a pack and get back to them if that's the now.
It will be Friday before I cross the portals of Morrisons.
I picked some of their own brand sugar up Sept. 2010 but retured it to the shelf after reading "Contains Sulphides ".

I will re-check of course ,I wouldn't like to be the purveyor of duff gen :angelsad2:

John W.

From what I can gather it is beet sugar which has sulphides so I suspect it is a trace left over from its manufacture. I believe sulpher dioxide is used to refine and bleach sugar - but I've fed my bees Morrisons sugar and they are still alive so far. I am counting on the amount of sulphides being very low and also that other products made using sugar, like bakers fondant, will also probably have the same presence of sulphides and these seem to be tolerated by the bees. The level is probably just a few ppm - although that is only a guess.

Just closely examined a kilo bag of silver spoon sugar .
The packaging proudly displays the origin of the contents (East Anglia ie. sugar beet) It mentions low carbon ethics, recycled packaging but nowhere a mention of sulphides ! yet Morrisons does!
I can't see a company volunteering to make a product look less organic than that of a rival company?

John W

Morries please! Will try to get one but it's a 30 min drive to Morrisons.

Ok But not before Friday 'Big Shopping day' as Peter Kaye would say :p

John W

Latest posts

Back