Paynes Nucleus leaking syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Made a split on Friday using a brand new Paynes Nuc it was painted on the outside with at least five coats of Garden shades including the base and feet. The inside of the feeder section I used the same paint but mixed with sand and gave it three coats. Today I went to see how they were doing, and could see drips underneath and a stain on the side, tasted the drips and it was syrup leaching through the side. Weather brightened and cue masses of bees from another colony 30m away clustering on the sides and possibly now entering and robbing from the nuc. I ended up swapping the split over to another new nucleus painted the same as above, unnecessarily disturbing them but haven't dared put any syrup in the feeder section. Going to have to top feed instead, has anyone else had this problem? I have seen an older thread where it was suggested coating the feeder section with PVA? I'm reluctant to buy extra supers/ekes and small top feeders for future splits.

I had the same with a Swienty polystyrene feeder some years ago and the wasps loved it!! The syrup literally oozed through the walls. Now I make my own Miller feeders in wood and paint the inside of the reservoir with several coats of gloss paint and have no problems.

Made a split on Friday using a brand new Paynes Nuc it was painted on the outside with at least five coats of Garden shades including the base and feet. The inside of the feeder section I used the same paint but mixed with sand and gave it three coats. Today I went to see how they were doing, and could see drips underneath and a stain on the side, tasted the drips and it was syrup leaching through the side. Weather brightened and cue masses of bees from another colony 30m away clustering on the sides and possibly now entering and robbing from the nuc. I ended up swapping the split over to another new nucleus painted the same as above, unnecessarily disturbing them but haven't dared put any syrup in the feeder section. Going to have to top feed instead, has anyone else had this problem? I have seen an older thread where it was suggested coating the feeder section with PVA? I'm reluctant to buy extra supers/ekes and small top feeders for future splits.
I've never had a leaking Paynes but if you're going to paint the inside of the feeder as waterproofing use a gloss paint.

Easy solution . Clean out feeder, Thoroughly. with warm water and a kitchen pot cleaning brush.
Melt lots of beeswax - pour into feeder, Ensure all surfaces - especially near the bottom are covered with a thin layer. (this requires a plan to do one side at a time... as the wax will quickly congeal.)

No beeswax? Candle wax will do - you will need lots of candles and it is HIGHLY inflammable. So bain marie job.

I do this to all my home made frame feeders- wooden and plastic - with 100% success.

Many thanks for the responses I have plenty of beeswax so will try coating the inside of the feeder sections of a couple of the boxes with this so they are ready to go if needed. I would gloss but with the damp drizzly weather we are currently having it could take days to get a few coats applied and dried, and as soon as I started painting I know I would need a spare box urgently.

I have never painted my Paines nucs inside or out. They have never leaked and I have been using them for eight or nine years. They were the original ones they brought out. Feeders have never leaked.

I know they do a feeder but at £30 each I can't justify the expense at the minute, I will muddle through with a spare super and a top feeder for now.

Made a split on Friday using a brand new Paynes Nuc it was painted on the outside with at least five coats of Garden shades including the base and feet. The inside of the feeder section I used the same paint but mixed with sand and gave it three coats. Today I went to see how they were doing, and could see drips underneath and a stain on the side, tasted the drips and it was syrup leaching through the side. Weather brightened and cue masses of bees from another colony 30m away clustering on the sides and possibly now entering and robbing from the nuc. I ended up swapping the split over to another new nucleus painted the same as above, unnecessarily disturbing them but haven't dared put any syrup in the feeder section. Going to have to top feed instead, has anyone else had this problem? I have seen an older thread where it was suggested coating the feeder section with PVA? I'm reluctant to buy extra supers/ekes and small top feeders for future split
the feeder is on sale seconds .no cover ..£19.89.plus post .i use them on 8 frame paynes nucs.the feeder sits flat on the frames the bees can not walk
under it with bottom bee space.only found this out after taking it of and found a few dead bees .so did a mod on it .to lift it up enough so bees wont get
squashed .it only slopes on the inside .maybe im missing something .

Attachments

• mod10.25.13.jpg
    mod10.25.13.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 0
  • mod210.25.54.jpg
    mod210.25.54.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back