Starting in September

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Human Beeing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Is there any reason why I would not start beekeeping in September, provided I could get hold of a hive and bees? I was thinking as it's the dormant season this may be a better way to ease myself in before the real work starts in the Spring.

Rob

Is there any reason why I would not start beekeeping in September, provided I could get hold of a hive and bees? I was thinking as it's the dormant season this may be a better way to ease myself in before the real work starts in the Spring.

Rob

I can not see why not... except for those endless sleepless winter nights spent worrying how the bees are doing!!!

Good time to read up all the myths and mysteries that beekeepers love to promulgate on this wonderful forum.

Welcome to the mad house!

Yeghes da

I think it depends in whether you have any experience or not.
And whether you would have a mentor with you, or not.
But my advice would be to wait.

There's not a lot to be done from September onwards - but the temptation to get in there is difficult to resist! And if the 'keeper is a novice, the chances of getting it wrong, even doing harm, is higher.

Then, there is the winter oxalic to be done. A tricky task at the best of times.

And spring is an anxiety provoking in itself!
How will you know if they're low on stores? Are you skilled at hefting?
When to open up? What to do, when?

And always, the urge to go into the bees too often - through anxiety and fascination.
We've all done it.

No - better to contain your desires and wait. Plenty of learning to be done before then.

Dusty

Then, there is the winter oxalic to be done. A tricky task at the best of times.

Crikey Dusty.... That time of year already???
I must get the Christmas decorations down from the attic... and get the lights working!

Only just celebrated the Crying of the Neck !
( Harvest Festival!!)

Yeghes da

Yes ... far better to join your local association, sign up for their beekeeping course, read every beekeeping book you can beg, buy, borrow or steal, read the back pages on here and decide what type of hive you are going to get.... because they will be a lot cheaper in the winter sales.

The odds on are that your local association will have a swarm collector and you could get your bees for a very nominal donation - or sometimes even free.

Much more sensible to wait until spring.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why I would not start beekeeping in September,

none at all - get a good few books to read on the long winter nights - make the most of the autumn and winter sales, get some experience building hives and frames and you will be all set for when you buy your new nuc or colony in the spring

as said nothing. but there is not much beekeeping to do other than hefting the hive and winter proofing the hive. As a beginner you are likely to want to handle bees and that is not what your bees will want in winter... But if you can get a hive with bees now on the cheap, why not?

if you can get a hive with bees now on the cheap, why not?

Where are these cheap autumn bees? IMHO there is no such thing. The only reason to sell bees cheap is that there is something wrong with them. These are not the bees a beginner would want

I started this year and I'd agree with the 'Resist the temptation' view - get to know some local beekeepers and attend some of the winter meetings, find a supplier nearby that you can trust and put your name down for an over wintered nuc in the spring, buy a budget hive kit and spend the dull evenings assembling it and twice as many frames as you think you're going to need.

It is worth the wait :)

Starting now would be a bad idea.
You will want to open them up and mess with them, you would do more harm than good.
You would have to buy a full colony and then feed them to get through winter. All the costs but high risk of losing your money without any benefits for you.

Join a local association and go to winter meetings and do a beginners course is good advice.
Avoid swarms, buy a nuc or colony next year.

Good luck
:)

No way.... wait till spring , get your order in early, get an overwintered Nuc, Queen clipped and marked.

You are itching to get started as I was 2 years ago, and I am sure all else were on starting.

Foucus those energies on completing a course ( essential I found to forge contacts, learn and get to ask questions on matters that you dont understand ) .

Get your kit sorted etc.

Difference you will be getting your bees and can experience a new season from start to finish , you will be prepared and better educated, as opposed to rushing to get bees now , getting them installed and the general panic that goes with same.

Now given the season ending is not a good time. You will enjoy it more if you leave till next season.

I've been looking into it for a while until last week a local lady agreed to sell me her healthy bees and equipment because she's developed an anaphalactic reaction and has to give up beekeeping. However she pulled out of the sale, concerned about my lack of experience. But I thought given it's the dormant season I would be able to leave them largely alone while I get some guidance between now and the Spring, and I'm a fast learner so I wasn't that concerned. It seemed like a good opportunity. I wonder if I find a good mentor I could reassure her that the bees would be okay with me.

Have you signed up for a winter course , Beginners course ??

A full hive if you have no experience is a crazy option. Given that you are bound to be opening them up mentorless at some stage.

If you get bees now and don't have a mentor or someone to sort them out for winter you may aswell throw your money on the fire.

Do you have any idea what to feed them and how ?
What about varroa treatment if it hasn't been done ?
Do you have an apiary set up waiting ?
If your putting them at home have you thought about your neighbours people can be funny.
What equipment do you have ? Any idea what you will need ?
A lot more to it than a wooden box and some bees.
Are there any restrictions on your property regarding keeping bees ?

Last edited:
It is good advice that everyone is giving you. A few years ago there was a hard winter and a lot of hives were lost even by experienced bee keepers. There will be other opportunities to acquire bees. Being patient and maybe doing a course through South Staffs beekeeping Association would (or another one) give you a great advantage. Ssbka would be convenient to your locality. Their website gives details. I like learning from books but I found the practical apiary parts of the course invaluable before I took on my own hive. Good luck whatever you decide.

Back