Hive Alive BBC2 On Now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am intrigued about the 'costume'...? What 'should' we have worn?

Provided it is basic, freely available and the audience can relate to it....job done.
Attenborough did not promote labels, just the message, no labels please.

As for the program!
For a start those shoes did not match those pants....and why wrap yourself up in a giant blue hospital dressing.

Could take a leaf out of golf attire, after all it is the one sport that allows you to dress like a pimp....:nono:

What we need is apiary camo...blend and make a visual statement...it should really make interesting telly..... :willy_nilly:

700-0-s40272custm-custom-bee-hornet-mascot-costume-000-ashx.jpg

No?
OK au natural...

bee-costume.jpg

Honied field dressing were standard issue before Manuka was heard of in this hemisphere !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or should that be pwesenters? I beg to differ - annoyingly smug is the description I get from most people who discuss his style.

I think that we should start another pointless online petition to demand the government pump billions into genetic engineering so we can clone David Attenborough and others of his excedtional quality!
And what happened to David Bellamy - expunged from the lists together with people like Robin Page. Because he dared voice that the countryside is not one big theme park like the bunny huggers and townies would like to believe.
I can't like this post enough.

Why is there no "like" button on this forum?

JBM has an issue with townies that spills over from time to time, he forgets that not too long ago, we were all peasants ,he also forgets that most of the paraphernalia associated with farming and Country living was produced by townies :) without which he would probably be leaning on a fence in his smock, chewing a piece of straw and smiling with cider blackened teeth ,mouthing o aar o aar o aar !. Unless he's truly descended from Celtic Royalty? :D
VM

I know Chris's shirt was somewhat loud but its going a bit far to be critical of Martha's dress sense and age of. By the way, I've worked with Chris and he is one of the best presenters at speaking off script and for a long periods, something many of the new wanabees cannot do.

I am intrigued about the 'costume'...? What 'should' we have worn?

Bicycle clips, Bowler hat and a net curtain veil ? That's what my dad tended his bees in during the 1960's ! That was after I'd 'borrowed' his Bombay Basher to play jungle warfare in the raspberry canes ... the bowler hat was my Grandad's work hat - he was a builder !

Don't you feel that we've lost some of this sartorial elegance ?:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::hairpull:

I know Chris's shirt was somewhat loud but its going a bit far to be critical of Martha's dress sense and age of. By the way, I've worked with Chris and he is one of the best presenters at speaking off script and for a long periods, something many of the new wanabees cannot do.
It's not just the loudness of his shirt, poor presentation style, age of Martha's clothes - it's the whole image they are putting forward. They need to modernise, smarten up, appeal to younger people. I know others will criticise my comments, but it matters.

Last edited:
Tell me how I criticised Martha's age.

Ahh you see ... bit of clever extrapolation ... buying clothes in 1974 makes her at least 60 ... then you go and say that dreadful ageist word 'Younger' in the same sentence ... On here, with a multitude of nit picking geriatrics you have only yourself to blame !

" last night they were dressed in 70's outfits (I think Martha had kept that blue jacket since buying it in 1974) and secondly, use a younger person in the programme"

##:calmdown::calmdown::icon_204-2::seeya:

Ahh you see ... bit of clever extrapolation ... buying clothes in 1974 makes her at least 60 ... then you go and say that dreadful ageist word 'Younger' in the same sentence ... On here, with a multitude of nit picking geriatrics you have only yourself to blame !

" last night they were dressed in 70's outfits (I think Martha had kept that blue jacket since buying it in 1974) and secondly, use a younger person in the programme"

##:calmdown::calmdown::icon_204-2::seeya:

Pargyle, were you in politics? You've stretched that extrapolation beyond breaking point. If we don't attract a younger crowd who will look after the bees in 20 years time?

Pargyle, were you in politics? You've stretched that extrapolation beyond breaking point. If we don't attract a younger crowd who will look after the bees in 20 years time?

It weren't me Guvnor ... I'm erring on the side of geriatric as well !

I do everything I can to talk to the youngest kids I can get interested ... I'm with you ... I need the next generation to be fit and healthy, living an active lifestyle, eating properly - BECAUSE - they are the ones who are going to be working until they are 90 years old to keep my old age pension paid and pay the hospital bills to replace all my worn out limbs with bionic ones, my muscles with electro mechanical substitutes and any malfunctioning organs with nice new ones grown in a test tube.

The person who will live to be 150 years old has already been born - it might as well be me ! You can join the queue if you like ...:icon_204-2:

Bicycle clips, Bowler hat and a net curtain veil ? That's what my dad tended his bees in during the 1960's ! That was after I'd 'borrowed' his Bombay Basher to play jungle warfare in the raspberry canes ... the bowler hat was my Grandad's work hat - he was a builder !

Don't you feel that we've lost some of this sartorial elegance ?:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::hairpull:

Granddad was more than that he was a gaffer :)
VM

Adam,
As you can see, there are plenty of replies not worth considering. It's a shame they don't possess a tenth of Chris Packham's knowledge.
A very enjoyable show!

Yes you are right ... he had his own small building company ... Him and another bloke - but Grandad was always 'Guvnor'.

Hence the bowler ! :)
VM

It's not just the loudness of his shirt, poor presentation style, age of Martha's clothes - it's the whole image they are putting forward. They need to modernise, smarten up, appeal to younger people. I know others will criticise my comments, but it matters.

Do you know what, I never even noticed, I never judge a book by it's cover only the contents

Latest posts

Back