Still big varroa drop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your two have dropped very very little which bodes well for next year :)
They both had an accelerated drop and needed no treatment :)

Don't open up Etton !!

Why on earth not ?
In mild winters a single winter vape is virtually pointless if there's brood present. Pick a sunny , light winds day and be quick. The amount of brood you'll find won't be large, it's loss insignificant to the colony, but culling it will have a huge effect on mite levels in the coming season.
Not opening in winter is taught because there's no reason to, not because it will harm your bees. They're far tougher than you're giving them credit for.

Don't open up Etton !!
Did a fast trickle on my first and only hive 2 years ago with no adverse effect. Last year I vaped. Thinking I will trickle my two heavy drop hives this year having vaped a lot already.
Will make up my own 'trickle' with 100g sugar, 100ml water, 7.5g OA makes 167m enough to treat 3 hives with 50m each (5mx10 seams of bees).
See http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/wallyshaw.html

If you unknowingly kill the queen while culling the brood, you won't have a colony come Spring.

I am probably responsible for a missing queen about once every 3 or 400 inspections.
I'll take those odds.

Why on earth not ?
In mild winters a single winter vape is virtually pointless if there's brood present. Pick a sunny , light winds day and be quick. The amount of brood you'll find won't be large, it's loss insignificant to the colony, but culling it will have a huge effect on mite levels in the coming season.
Not opening in winter is taught because there's no reason to, not because it will harm your bees. They're far tougher than you're giving them credit for.

THis is the time of year when your 3-4 OAV 4-5 days apart are going to be most effective.

I tried out the Sublimox yesterday. I am really pleased with how easy it is, much easier than the Varrox and much quicker. Togged up with decent respirator and googles, I quickly abandoned the goggles to see what I was doing. I vaped three hives through a reduced entrance block further reduced with sponge. I lost minimal vapour and that was only on the one box with a Paynes floor which because the landing board is so wide I had to half tip the machine before being able to push the nozzle in. Drops this morning were what I expected.

BUT back to problem colonies. The real rogue one is holding its own and i have left it alone. Two colonies are dropping very few or no mites but three were, so ten days ago I vaped them. The last round after supers came off was perfectly OK and I was happy with them. This time more mites but the three rounds seem to have got them.
Speaking to a friend in USA, they are used to vaping their hives four times a year.

I tried out the Sublimox yesterday. I am really pleased with how easy it is, much easier than the Varrox and much quicker. Togged up with decent respirator and googles, I quickly abandoned the goggles to see what I was doing. I vaped three hives through a reduced entrance block further reduced with sponge. I lost minimal vapour and that was only on the one box with a Paynes floor which because the landing board is so wide I had to half tip the machine before being able to push the nozzle in. Drops this morning were what I expected.

BUT back to problem colonies. The real rogue one is holding its own and i have left it alone. Two colonies are dropping very few or no mites but three were, so ten days ago I vaped them. The last round after supers came off was perfectly OK and I was happy with them. This time more mites but the three rounds seem to have got them.
Speaking to a friend in USA, they are used to vaping their hives four times a year.

Be interested to see if our over-winter queen losses increase after all this OAV? Especially after x7 in a row? Hopefully not!
Raitnieks paper had 3 queen losses in the OAV / brood removal group.

Be interested to see if our over-winter queen losses increase after all this OAV? Especially after x7 in a row? Hopefully not!
Raitnieks paper had 3 queen losses in the OAV / brood removal group.

Yes. Well have to keep this thread alive. I’m not happy doing all this vaping. I’m even less happy with Amitraz!

Palmer stated only ever removing 50% of varroa when there's brood about and probably need 5 vapes overall.... and more sessions of vaping in Mediterranean climes

Yes. Well have to keep this thread alive. I’m not happy doing all this vaping. I’m even less happy with Amitraz!

Yes but you will see that really efficient vaping it obviously much more effective and also your bees have stopped flying now, (or virtually), so once you get your Varroa numbers down the Varroa will only increase by their own reproductive action, not that of incoming from other sources and from failing hives around you that can be the huge numbers, which is one of your previous worries and quite right too)
i am actually happier once they stop flying.
At the moment ive got bees flying and burning too much stores. Nothing really going in thats of any significance. Their flying but all the time, their loosing weight now!
If your bees arent broodless, they soon will be and you WILL get your Mite numbers right down to virtually nothing!
Good investment in your Sublimox. No evidence that over vaping does any harm !

Last edited:
Ha! Don’t vape a hive with a poly floor

Attachments

• 96031704-5781-467C-BB50-E1217A7854F0.jpg
    96031704-5781-467C-BB50-E1217A7854F0.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 33
Back