Still big varroa drop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't be necessary as long as any midwinter brood is culled.

You would think so wouldn’t you?
My most rogue colony that dropped thousands of mites had a clean start in July when they were vaped as a swarm.

You would think so wouldn’t you?
My most rogue colony that dropped thousands of mites had a clean start in July when they were vaped as a swarm.

So in 3 months they ended up with 1000's?
When they were a swarm Did you OAV them before brood was sealed? Even then it would be difficult to explain how the levels got that high without mites coming in from outside.
Just thought of another possible explanation- the reproductive rate of your mites is far higher than the norm?

So in 3 months they ended up with 1000's?
When they were a swarm Did you OAV them before brood was sealed? Even then it would be difficult to explain how the levels got that high without mites coming in from outside.
Just thought of another possible explanation- the reproductive rate of your mites is far higher than the norm?

I vaped them four days after capture.
I can’t understand it either.
I don’t quite know what to do with them in spring if they make it.
I’m even toying with abandoning my OAV autumn treatment for Thymol or Amitraz just for one year. This whole thing has got me really stressed. I’m doing another round on another colony at the other end of the row that has dropped 230 mites in two days post the last vape.
I’ve had the inspection trays in all the hives for two weeks and I’m counting mites in my sleep

An end row hive with strangely high levels is quite possibly explained by drifting
And drop levels get skewed now as a higher percentage of mites will be becoming phoretic.

Last edited:
How much the swarm dropped?

I had a swarm of not more than 5,000 bees drop close to 700 mites once. I've not seen anything like it since mind. Made me wonder if they were absconding and not swarming.

An end row hive with strangely high levels is quite possibly explained by drifting
And drop levels get skewed now as a higher percentage of mites will be becoming phoretic.

Crossed my mind
I have plans to move the hives about in winter so that they are not in a straight line..
Oh well.....next year is another year

Crossed my mind
I have plans to move the hives about in winter so that they are not in a straight line..
Oh well.....next year is another year

If you've treated them all with multiple OA doses, you should have got most of them as they emerged. Is it possible that they're being reinfected from neighbouring beekeepers?

I have vaped my two bad hives probably several times and still getting high varroa drop. I still think its a problem getting the vape fully into the brood box as I have nadired supers. So I'm thinking of doing trickle treatment late December instead of vaping, at least I'm tackling the brood box where the cluster will be. Maybe I should vape & trickle!

If you've treated them all with multiple OA doses, you should have got most of them as they emerged. Is it possible that they're being reinfected from neighbouring beekeepers?

Hello Paul

Yes that's what a lot of this thread has been about and I'm sure that is a big part of the picture.
This last colony has been quite busy despite the others being quiet
I thought they were being robbed.....no
I thought they were running low on stores and were out in desperation.....no
I think they may well have found some thing to rob.

I have vaped my two bad hives probably several times and still getting high varroa drop. I still think its a problem getting the vape fully into the brood box as I have nadired supers. So I'm thinking of doing trickle treatment late December instead of vaping, at least I'm tackling the brood box where the cluster will be. Maybe I should vape & trickle!

If you are going to open the hive then maybe you should look for brood? ;)

Have a look at this if you are on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.no...026305&notif_t=like&notif_id=1510590470873653

Yes, good point a chance to look for brood.
A what if question...what if I find brood?
ps Your Facebook link didn't work for me
Thinking about it a bit more, probably quite difficult looking for brood as I would have to separate the cluster and disturb the hive unnecessarily. Maybe if I do trickle I will try and peep between the frames to look for sealed brood, larvae etc. I suppose brood cappings on the varroa board is another indicator, but sometimes Im not sure whether its brood or store cappings. Its easy to tell on the frames, bit more difficult on the varroa board.

If you are going to open the hive then maybe you should look for brood? ;)

Are you pointing us in the direction of LASI's idea of opening up the brood nest, frame by frame, and removing the brood so that you can then vape a broodless colony? I've always thought of vaping as being quite benign, as opposed to OA trickling where you have to remove the Crown Board for a minute or two. Brood removal looks awful!

CVB

Are you pointing us in the direction of LASI's idea of opening up the brood nest, frame by frame, and removing the brood so that you can then vape a broodless colony? I've always thought of vaping as being quite benign, as opposed to OA trickling where you have to remove the Crown Board for a minute or two. Brood removal looks awful!

CVB

No. Hence the ;) in my reply.
I won’t be opening up to take the brood out. I’d spear the queen knowing my luck.
I’ve asked Plenty of Honey to put his sublimox Facebook video on YouTube so that everybody can see it. Awesome machine especially if you don’t have neighbours

Back