Robbing help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I looked at Photobucket, it said that album had been made private.

I can see the public photos of your dogs having fun though.

Haha I have some fun with the pooches.
Anyway here goes if it works..all done on my phone by the way..the entrance is 100mm x 100mm x 9mm high..I cut a 50mm shim that slides in to narrow it down if need be..fire away with any questions if you need more information.
Cheers
Steve.

Attachments

• 20190113_193427-01.jpeg
    20190113_193427-01.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190113_193451-01.jpeg
    20190113_193451-01.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190113_193518-01.jpeg
    20190113_193518-01.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 110
Ah got it. I thought it went sideways. Food for thought anyway. Thanks

For me, I don't have the depth to the entrance, so will have to go sideways. But could make an interesting maze, as Steve suggested ;)

Underfloor entrance, but only about 70mm from front of entrance to back, where the access upwards into the hive is.

But plenty of space sideways as full-width access across the whole front of the hive.

nz1shl.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking of ways to make underfloor entrances more wasp proof. Can build a wooden block that fits into the underfloor entrance to make it more difficult for wasps. Std way of closing them down doesn't provide that 'bee tunnel' which they can more easily defend.

Just thinking.. but why did you ask for my tunnel entrances if you are already using the inferior under floor entrances.

You seem to be the only one who has an issue with them, I've used them for years, even on nucs and never had a problem.

You seem to be the only one who has an issue with them, I've used them for years, even on nucs and never had a problem.

I have mentioned it before about the amount of dead wasps on the ground below the hives with under floor entrances..3 x the amount than what the hives with tunnel entrances had..in fact the tunnel entrance hives had very few..work that one out..other than them not being very good at stopping wasps from getting in i like them..

Just wondering if there is more chance of a tunnel entrance getting blocked in the winter. In the past I have had slugs entering through the entrance block once blocking it off so the bees couldn't get out.

Just wondering if there is more chance of a tunnel entrance getting blocked in the winter. In the past I have had slugs entering through the entrance block once blocking it off so the bees couldn't get out.

Quite possible Philip, though not a problem with under hive entrances and never seen a wasp get in either.

This is the 4th winter using tunnel entrances and i have never had one blocked by dead bees yet or slugs...i have had one half blocked with a bit of plastic bag that i had some fondant in..the bees had chewed the plastic bag up and tried to drag a fairly big piece out of the entrance..it is amazing how strong these little devils can be..

Any particular reason for the 9mm height as myself I would have gone for 8 thinking of mice. My poly entrances are 8mm and never had an entry from vermin yet.

PH

Any particular reason for the 9mm height as myself I would have gone for 8 thinking of mice. My poly entrances are 8mm and never had an entry from vermin yet.

PH

They range between 8/9 mm..mine have also never had a mouse breach there defenses and we have no shortage of mice through the chickens..i do poison them however..

Latest posts

Back