young bees ejected

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
This morning in front of 2 of my hives I noticed a few dead bees. On inspection they are all young, some with their tongues out (newly emerged, or died before fully emerging) and the others have dvw (yea, there's varroa in there)

I'm guessing it's all part of an autumn clean out and it ties in with what I saw during an inspection last week where I saw a worker bee, dragging an almost developed bee (it was capable of movement) out of the hive and flying off with it.

T

Jep, they take no prisoners or very few anyway.

DWV Present ? Even I would suggest that a treatment for varroa is required as soon as is practical or sooner if possible. No brainer.

I'm well aware of the presence of varroa and have taken steps against it.

The reason behind my post was to see if anyone else had noticed point of emergence worker bees being ejected for any reason, varroa or other wise.

I'm well aware of the presence of varroa and have taken steps against it.

The reason behind my post was to see if anyone else had noticed point of emergence worker bees being ejected for any reason, varroa or other wise.

Could there be a food shortage?

One of my colonies started pulling pupae out of the hive: I removed the ApiGuard, as per the "instructions" in the FAQ....

It's worth noting that these instructions say you should leave the entrance fully open and the floor closed. As I have the entrances reduced -wasps/robbing etc - I have left the varroa inserts slightly "open" instead.

Latest posts

Back