woodpecker protection wire or netting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We had some woodpecker damage last winter for the first time, it occurred during the first snow of the year, they targeted the entrance blocks and the front of four hives at two different sites, all they bees survived their ordeal and not much real damage done, my question is what do you all use ? we have used chicken wire and plastic mesh from an old fruit cage, but we have found quite a lot of nylon netting in the garden used i think as game bird compound netting, we were thinking of cutting it into lengths to cover the hives with it,(a lot easier and quicker than wire i hope) has anyone used this sort of thing before? what are the draw backs? any advise please Chris

I'll tell you next spring, as I have just bought my nylon netting on eb*y and will be fitting it this weekend!

my hives as of last weekend

hives.jpg

Wow Taff, that looks good, but a lot of work i would imagine ! i was thinking of a less labour intensive idea, hence the netting just cut and sling over sort of thing, but i do like your ones they look very impressive,(if only i had more time!) great picture:) Chris

I use garden centre netting. The only issue is that unless you clear the snow then it becomes a totally snow covered igloo. It is much cheaper than making some wire construction for all 4 hives. I use those metal posts with a pigs tail to hold up the netting and campling pegs to attach to the ground.

it didn't take long at all, a couple of hours to cut and assemble the frames and an hour or so to staple the wire in place.

last year I cut the wire into rough boxes and used cable ties to hold it together, the main problem was that there was hundreds of wire ends sticking out to snag my beesuit and cut my hands when I went to heft the hives etc, the flexibility also made handling them a PITA. hance the frames this year :)

Not sure when looking at the pic- Do the wired frames go to the ground or rest on the stands? - and if so can woodie get in as there is quite a space between wire and hive.

Does anyone drape their hives with plastic sheeting? (as suggested by the Warings in their book)
I have been told that this prevents the birds gripping the hive sides ... no foothold, no pecking.

I happen to have some nice offcuts of (vapour permeable) Tyvek roofing membrane ... and no Green Woodpeckers have been seen in the (suburban) neighbourhood for ten years (so not believed to be a high threat level).

Not sure when looking at the pic- Do the wired frames go to the ground or rest on the stands? - and if so can woodie get in as there is quite a space between wire and hive.

the frames sit on the ground, in the woodpecker is able to work out how to go under the wire then up to have a go at the boxes I think she's earned a meal ;)

Does anyone drape their hives with plastic sheeting? (as suggested by the Warings in their book)
I have been told that this prevents the birds gripping the hive sides ... no foothold, no pecking.

I know of some people who do. Allegedly it also rustles and moves when they try to land on the hive and they don't like it.

I've never lost any hives to woodpeckers, but I took over looking after four on a local farm in the spring, one of which had been left with a super on it and there was a neat hole chipped out across the join between the super and brood box. The bees inside had died. I might give it a try this winter in case the perpetrator decides to come back for another go. I have a load of pig and chicken feed sacks I can cut up for the purpose.

James

Latest posts

Back