Woodpecker protection what size chicken wire?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Checked on my hives and found signs on two hives that a bird has been attacking assuming its a woodpecker.

I've brought some 2x1 wood and built frame to go over but in the rush to get it sorted I've brought 13mm hole chicken wire. Is this too small for bees to fly through as I think I should have got bigger didn't want to put it on without checking first.

Thanks
Chris

My guess is that it won't matter. Admittedly my netting-holes are about twice your size but my girls have no problem. I don't bother with a frame but merely put a coil of netting around each hive. No attacks since (I did have pecking holes before), even tho' netting is close to hives at the corners.

Checked on my hives and found signs on two hives that a bird has been attacking assuming its a woodpecker.

I've brought some 2x1 wood and built frame to go over but in the rush to get it sorted I've brought 13mm hole chicken wire.
Chris

YOu may put a piece a bigger eye size of net in front of entrance. 13 mm is really small bees to fly

I think that fruit cages use a 19mm net to keep the birds out. I use a 19mm mesh to protect my girls from woodpecker and they navigate it without too much trouble.

Ended up cheating and just using 25mm netting in the end as I wanted it done ASAP. Assuming its because the one hive is being over wintered with a super as last two winters were fine.

Picture of damaged hive -

Netted hive afterwards:

That looks like damage done by blue tits or blackbird.

Netted hive afterwards:

If you have got woodpeckers that are 'interested', then you need to arrange for more clearance than that between hive and mesh. (Especially a no-metal-skin poly roof!)
The one poly that I have seen holed by peckers had wire mesh, equally close ...

I wouldn't worry about the bees finding their way through the mesh. Remember the trick of putting leafy branches in front of the entrance? The bees cope just fine.

If you have got woodpeckers that are 'interested', then you need to arrange for more clearance than that between hive and mesh. (Especially a no-metal-skin poly roof!)
The one poly that I have seen holed by peckers had wire mesh, equally close ...

I wouldn't worry about the bees finding their way through the mesh. Remember the trick of putting leafy branches in front of the entrance? The bees cope just fine.

How much more distance - do I need another set of 4 bricks?

Latest posts

Back