First hive loss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our problem is Minus 8 other night, then 0 then plus 1 or 2 then daytime a day with sunshine thrown in @ 12 degrees then back to minus 1 or plus 1, 2 3 etc etc.

Bees breaking cluster , back in cluster and constant change and thus wasting more energy, whilst with steady cold winter and constant clustering and slower depletion of stores.

our problem is Minus 8 other night, then 0 then plus 1 or 2 then daytime a day with sunshine thrown in @ 12 degrees then back to minus 1 or plus 1, 2 3 etc etc.

Bees breaking cluster , back in cluster and constant change and thus wasting more energy, whilst with steady cold winter and constant clustering and slower depletion of stores.

Holy ship!

Last edited:
Our secret weapon is winter clothes and insulation of buildings.

Quite agree. Dress for the weather!

I am OK on clothes for us, (and have knitted little stripey jumpers and bootees for all the bees, of course,) but we haven't been able to insulate the house beyond loft insulation and double-glazed windows. It's about 150 years old with solid stone walls of 24 - 30" thickness, and the budget has always been limited...Any suggestions gratefully accepted though. :)

we haven't been able to insulate the house beyond loft insulation and double-glazed windows. It's about 150 years old with solid stone walls of 24 - 30" thickness, and the budget has always been limited...Any suggestions gratefully accepted though. :)

Same here......

build a recticel 'house cosy' to slip over the whole lot

I only just managed to sneak one sheet in with husband's Jewson order.
I would have to be very sneaky to get the rest sent :)

Quite agree. Dress for the weather!

I am OK on clothes for us, (and have knitted little stripey jumpers and bootees for all the bees, of course,) but we haven't been able to insulate the house beyond loft insulation and double-glazed windows. It's about 150 years old with solid stone walls of 24 - 30" thickness, and the budget has always been limited...Any suggestions gratefully accepted though. :)

Ours is the same.

Sell it and buy a new one built to highest insulation standards.. is our plan (dream)

Check your windows, double glazing does not necessarily mean a high performance window, no use if not airtight and frames are made from a material ( say aluminium ) that is an efficient conductor of heat/cold.

Also for optimum thermal efficiency and longevity of product, softwood vacum impregnated , double or triple glazed windows required. Certified airtightness and weather tightness also essential.

"Building the dream" is husband's favourite programme :)

Hmm best not let my wife see it...(as if I can control her TV watching ! or anything else)

Sell it and buy a new one built to highest insulation standards.. is our plan (dream)

My dream is to be able to afford to build a house to the highest sustainable standards, but I fear it will always be a dream. In this world, dreams like this need money... it should be statutory

Now that is a monstrosity! I'm afraid I'm with cousin Charles on the architect profession and carbuncles :D

b****y h*l JBM , you are too quick!!! have you seen it in action, though...?

http://www.therussellhouse.org/html/movies.html

When the shell is fully "retracted" shall we say, the bathroom, of all places, is open to the skies! There is a door access at any time, in case the motors break down....20tonne of shell, moving on rails powered by some pretty small motors. Not entirely original, (at least one similar predecessor in OZ), but surprising that planners gave consent with no hesitation!

Last edited:
Knowing my luck i'd get up in the middle of the night for a quick visit to the head and forget I hadn't put the cosy back on - wandering around without clothes on is something I'd rather keep to myself!

It's not about designing a nice home for yourself nowadays for the people with more money than sense - it's about how outrageous your creation can be

I don't think that this is the sort of house that you or I would be comfortable in, JBM...

Latest posts

Back