windy weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be out checking mine if it calms down a little this afternoon as they are promising. Much of central and southern Scotland has shut down and even if people want to travel they can't as the main rail lines and road bridges are shut, and toppled lorries are blocking the main roads. Its a bad one! At least the power here is (mostly) still on, for now.

Realised in the early hours of the morning when the wind was really whistling around the house that one of the hves wasn't strapped down (due to a rapid retreat the other day when residents got a bit too interested in my putting the varroa board in!)
Even though the hives are in a pretty sheltered spot in the garden I would't be able to sleep soundly so, 0105 in the driving rain with shooting lamp sorting it out! Neighbours must (do!) think I'm barmy.

Realised in the early hours of the morning when the wind was really whistling around the house that one of the hves wasn't strapped down (due to a rapid retreat the other day when residents got a bit too interested in my putting the varroa board in!)
Even though the hives are in a pretty sheltered spot in the garden I would't be able to sleep soundly so, 0105 in the driving rain with shooting lamp sorting it out! Neighbours must (do!) think I'm barmy.

Ha Ha, I've done that. Got up in the middle of the night and staggered up the hill torch in hand.

I just rely on the weight of the hive and stick a couple of bricks on the roof.

I suppose I better go and check them at some point this winter. :)

Varroa counting suspended!

I'll be out checking mine if it calms down a little this afternoon as they are promising. Much of central and southern Scotland has shut down and even if people want to travel they can't as the main rail lines and road bridges are shut, and toppled lorries are blocking the main roads. Its a bad one! At least the power here is (mostly) still on, for now.

long range forecast issued on the 15 December is predicting another severe storm 12th jan+-24hours, it got this one right 3rd-4th +-24hrs

Last edited:
Not sure that I really wanted to know that MM ... OK then, further topping up of the weights on the hives is required.

got this one right

Dunno 'bout that. Where I've been this last fortnight it has been blowing a gale 'plus' on several occasions.

:biggrinjester:well the main cold front has just gone over me (north london), so much rain in the line squall i could see more than 100ft.....must be like living in Manchester

Expect it to reach central London in 20 minutes, so no doubt the London Centric 6:00 BBC news will be full of it....or will it different now that part of the BBC has moved to manchester

just realised i have a dustbin in the back Garden...it was in the front garden this morning

Last edited:
Quite scarry here as wind rocking car on drive. Fence panels can FLY!!!
Been to check hives and lob another paving slab on. Wind speed gusting at 90 mph. trees down blocking roads and yet bees still greeted me when I approached a hive.

Days like these are my most favourite days off all, reminds me of being a child growing up on the north easy coast of Scotland. The only thing I miss is seeing the waves crash over the sea wall.

Latest posts

Back